This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading from Gutsy Gibbon to Hardy Heron

I have upgraded Gutsy Gibbon to Hardy Heron on three machines. On one of them after the upgrade on rebooting it hangs showing the following text:

BusyBox v 1.1.3 .9.debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
    (initramfs)

A number of commands is available and I can get into a series of directories like usr, root and etc, but not into /boot/grub/.

I used the following commands to upgrade:

$ sudo sed -i "s/gutsy/hardy/g" /etc/apt/sources.list
    $ sudo aptitude update
    $ sudo aptitude dist-upgrade

Everything went fine and everything worked after the upgrade but alas rebooting was not possible any more. For this machine upgrading is the only way to install the alfa as the alfa does not contain drivers for my jbod configuration of disks.
    What is causing the hang and how can I fix it without going into a full installation again?

Johan

Re: Upgrading from Gutsy Gibbon to Hardy Heron

Johan, do you now if the new kernel got installed and did you do the upgrade from your desktop or while in the safe mode shell?

I have never been able to get out of BusyBox, good luck to you and let us know if you have some progress.
    Registered Linux User #380263 - Registered Linux Computer #279395<br />Linux, working hard to save you $$$ - Get a clue, get Linux!<br />Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz, Intel Desktop Board D945GTP, Intel On Board Audio, Video and Ethernet Controller

Comment

Hello,
      I have followed the starting procedure without splash screen and quiet. This reveals that kubuntu hardy heron cannot find my jbod disks, just like the direct install. The beta does not contain appropriate drivers for my nvidia 520 chipset. Nvidia itself does not support nforce for linux in their 500 series. Gutsy Gibbon is equipped with the proper drivers but while upgrading these drivers are lost on restart.
      How can I localize the nvidia sata drivers in gutsy gibbon in order to put them on a floppy disk for loading during installation?
      Johan

Comment

Sorry Johan, I don't use nvidia and can't help you with that, I don't see you getting much help, to bad.
        Registered Linux User #380263 - Registered Linux Computer #279395<br />Linux, working hard to save you $$$ - Get a clue, get Linux!<br />Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz, Intel Desktop Board D945GTP, Intel On Board Audio, Video and Ethernet Controller

Comment

I started this topic on March 23 but not a single useful reply popped up. Is it that complicated or is no one use mobo with nForce 500 series chipset?
          There must be a solution as Gutsy Gibbon installed fine and Hardy Heron can't find my harddisks because they have terrible limited the number of supported drivers.
          My question now is: Are the gutsy gibbon drivers nv_sata and ahci for instance suited for use in Hardy Heron, and if so where can I find these drivers in digestible form for the F4 option of the Hardy Heron installation cd/dvd?
          Johan

Comment

Working...
          X