This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm constantly amazed

The more I get used to Linux the more I'm amazed at all the different ways people use their machines. I just read a post about an insue with Konsole in KDE4 that I don't even know what the guy is talking about... it is THAT far outside of what I do with my machine. Yet for him it's a showstopper. It's THAT important to him.

I try to explain to friends how open Linux is, that no matter what you want to do you can do it... and the real limiting factor for understanding is they have never been able to do anything but install a program and run it... so they don't even know what they might want to do.

Bugs bug the crap out of me... but right now I have a close friend who needs a new computer and can't get the data off his machine because it's a Win2K machine (won't boot) and he doesn't have his original CD. I tried to use a LiveCD to get at it but his machine is pretty old. I'm going to plug his drives into my machine... but he's out of luck without another computer.

Kev

Re: I'm constantly amazed

Tried Knoppix Live CD?

Not quite fully relevant, but --
    Data Rescue Links & Comments & Tips
    TestDisk -- PhotoRec -- Knoppix (or other Live CDs)
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091847.0
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: I'm constantly amazed

I think the wisest thing is to just slap his hdd's into my machine and back the important stuff up to DVD. That way I can burn and then wipe the two drives in prep for a normal install of something.

I get to take my time with it that way, and I don't have to try to find a distro that will work with his old hardware just to get the data. I'll likely set his machine up with some lightweight distro.. just don't know which one yet.

Kev

Comment

Working...
      X