This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDM fails?

Yesterday my new HH install ran just fine - for what it does. Did some install - VLC, Gimp, Scribus ... went to bed, and - today it will not run through the KDE start - stays for a long time on the first icon /the "chip"), then a small window top left:

No write access to /home/nils1/.ICE authority
    Could not start ksmserver
    I tried removing the hidden ./kdm folder in my home directory (booted into Gutsy), but that did not fix it.

Any ideas?

Re: KDM fails?

This was an irritating problem when I was playing around with running persistent Kubuntu/Ubuntu from a usb flash drive (I used Slax in the end :-X )
    Anyway try in Konsole
    Code:
    sudo chown nils1 /home/nils1/.ICEauthority

Comment

Yes, nils I had the exact same problem with KDE4, on a fully updated HH Alpha 4 installation. KDM would show the first icon, a hard disk drive, and then black out and return to the login GUI. Interestingly, KDE 3.5 continued to function. I also tried nuking the .kde4 folder, reinstalling KDM, chowning the user directory, reinstalling the video driver, etc. etc. -- nothing fixed it.

On Friday I sat down and installed HH Alpha 5, updated it, and then installed kde4-core, and it has been working fine since then -- I keep adding packages and restarting it, and so far I haven't broken it again. I dunno ... there is something amiss with kdm on HH, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis99

Anyway try in Konsole
        Code:
        Yes, that did it.

I have not installed KDE 4 - don't like the un-hide-able panel: The first two things I do after any install for myself is: Left handed mouse and auto-hide.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis99

Code:
          Thanks Dennis99! Wish I had known that one Thursday!

Comment

Working...
          X