X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hardy stops during boot after KDM

Originally posted by Bongo5HH

My second HDD is mounted and I can get to it through "storage" in KDE3 but I can't seem to see it in KDE4.
    That's kinda weird -- you mean it shows up if you do
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    or
    Code:
    blkid
    , but it's not visible when you look at storage media with the GUI?

I noticed here that my NTFS-formatted USB thumb drive, which was automatically mounted and put on the Desktop when I installed HH Alpha 4, wasn't handled so smoothly this time. I just made a mount point and mounted it manually, but it was more impressive when the installer took care of it automatically.

Comment

Code:
      sudo fdisk -lu
      returns only my SDA drive not my HDA drive.

Code:
      blkid
      returns this

kevin@2pesky:~$ blkid
      /dev/sda1: UUID="2a3b71d4-7362-4b00-bc95-227d8aab516b" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" LABEL="storage"
      /dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
      /dev/sdb1: UUID="1783e428-22b3-4f07-bbba-2085b4a7e37f" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
      /dev/sdb5: TYPE="swap" UUID="09ef5236-5f3c-4dc7-ba92-fcb0d5d687fb"
      the first one showing the label as "storage" is strange because that's what my hda drive should be called.

now here's the weird part, if I run the KDE3 version of Dolphin I can get into my second hard drive by going to "storage media"

but if I use the KDE4 version of Dolphin (or Konq) I can't find the second drive. Nor can I find it using applications (when trying to open a file).

OK.... sorry I'm writing this in "real time" as I figure stuff out. I just realized that KDE3 Dolphin calls my second drive "SDA1" but it has always been HDA1 before. It's a EIDE drive and my main drive is a SATA drive.

so the system is calling my main drive "SDB" and my second drive "SDA1" how weird is that?

OK so now I just went back into my fstab and removed the line I had added about HDA1 then did a sudo mount -a and now I can get into my second hard drive no problem... my brain hurts.

EDIT I can't find the second hard drive using Konq it only comes up in Dolphin. It's not under /dev/ or /mnt/ actually /mnt/ is empty.

Kev

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm. Well, to resolve the various mysteries, I'd just set it up in /etc/fstab, using "mount by UUID" so you can disregard the hdx/sdx thing. All the drives are normally set up under /media by the partitioner/installer -- at least when I use the "manual" option during the partitioning phase of the process, it shows them listed under /media.

Comment

if I go into KDE3 Dolphin and go to "storage" which is what my second drive is called, it asks for my password and then lets me in. When I shut down the system it gives an error saying that it can't unmount a drive that has been mounted by another user. So it seems to be a permissions thing.

Kev

Comment

Yeah. If Dolphin is asking you for a password to access the drive, then Dolphin is in Root user mode, so your ownership permissions are being changed. (dibl: do you concur?)
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yep. I'd guess Mr. Root User has been browsing and copying. Better check the permissions on that drive. :P

Comment

if I go into KDE3 Dolphin and go to "storage" which is what my second drive is called, it asks for my password and then lets me in. When I shut down the system it gives an error saying that it can't unmount a drive that has been mounted by another user. So it seems to be a permissions thing.
                I've had that problem before ( :P ); you can change the permission of any directory with the following command formula:
                Code:
                sudo chown -R [user]:[group] [directory name]
                Thus, if my username was "anonymous", if I was a member of the "anonymous2" group, and I wanted to change all the permissions of my "/home/anonymous" directory from "whomever" to "anonymous", I would enter the command:
                Code:
                sudo chown -R anonymous:anonymous2 /home/anonymous
                All files in my "/home/anonymous" directory would then be owned by me (anonymous).  That makes changing permissions much easier than manually changing that of each individual file
                Asus G1S-X3:
                Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
                X