This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hardy stops during boot after KDM

Yeah, really. I blew away the wrong partition already once this week.

It was libpam-foreground that lets you see the ksmserver error. I just did this to fix up my KDE:

Code:
    apt-get remove language-pack-kde-en-base language-pack-kde-en
    If you want, that other thread gives you some versions to roll back too.

Comment

I'm gonna do a dist-upgrade to HH again here. lol what am I getting myself into? And then I'll try to roll back these langauge packs. I actually miss now nice my printer worked with HH... and I want KDE4 again (which breaks audio on Gutsy for me)

Kev

Comment

Don't get wild expectations ... :

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091460.0

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Oh ya... you tell me AFTER I do it! lol

Actually I'm into KDE3 in HH right now. I wasn't able to install the language packs suggested but simply removing them seems to have allowed me to get into my desktop.

Wasn't expecting to loose Firefox 2 though.. I used FireFTP daily... and that doesn't work with FF3.. boo.

Going to look around and then try putting KDE4 on.

Kev

Comment

Mine is fine, now that I manually installed the Nvidia driver. nvidia-glx-new is hosed.

I went ahead and installed FF 3, and it's fine except for Flash and the occasional image problem. I like the looks of it, actually.

Comment

Mine is fine, now that I manually installed the Nvidia driver. nvidia-glx-new is hosed.

I went ahead and installed FF 3, and it's fine except for Flash and the occasional image problem. I like the looks of it, actually.
              I'm considering trying to install the driver like you said. But I'm enjoying my system working right now. hehe

Comment

yep after removing the language packs, it finally boots in. I did this on both my laptop and my friend's and they both work now.

Comment

All of a sudden, I installed the flashplugin-nonfree package and flash is now working in Firefox 3! I dunno what changed, but I like it!

Comment

FF3 32 Bit is using flash with no issues over here. But it sure is ugly in KDE4 lol

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo5HH

But it sure is ugly in KDE4 lol
                      If you're referring to that blue faux-paisely stuff, yeah, I agree totally. I had to make a quick trip to the KDE download site and get something cleaner -- you can see my choice in the Gallery screenshot.

Comment

FF 3 looks ok in KDE3 but in KDE4 it looks like I'm back in the 90's

www.kde-look.org had a GTK+ for KDE4 that I might install

Kev

Comment

Did anybody else have problems logging into hardy kde4 after today's updates ( monday feb. 18th) ? After logging in, system services initialization starts, but then returns to the login manager. Also the later upgrades with update-manager-core and python-apt give the following error when running apt-get upgrade:

The following packages will be upgraded:
                          python-apt update-manager-core
                          2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                          Need to get 0B/244kB of archives.
                          After this operation, 8192B of additional disk space will be used.
                          Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
                          (Reading database ... 130147 files and directories currently installed.)
                          Preparing to replace python-apt 0.7.4ubuntu4 (using .../python-apt_0.7.4ubuntu5_amd64.deb) ...
                          Traceback (most recent call last):
                          File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 1593, in <module>
                          main()
                          File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 1587, in main
                          rv = action.run(global_options)
                          File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 1075, in run
                          requested = pyversions.requested_versions_for_runtime(version_ field, version_only=True)
                          File "/usr/share/pycentral-data/pyversions.py", line 172, in requested_versions_for_runtime
                          vinfo = parse_versions(vstring)
                          File "/usr/share/pycentral-data/pyversions.py", line 58, in parse_versions
                          raise ValueError, 'error parsing Python-Version attribute'
                          ValueError: error parsing Python-Version attribute
                          dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/python-apt_0.7.4ubuntu5_amd64.deb (--unpack):
                          subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
                          Preparing to replace update-manager-core 1:0.87.7 (using .../update-manager-core_1%3a0.87.8_amd64.deb) ...
                          Traceback (most recent call last):
                          File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 1593, in <module>
                          main()
                          File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 1587, in main
                          rv = action.run(global_options)
                          File "/usr/bin/pycentral", line 1075, in run
                          requested = pyversions.requested_versions_for_runtime(version_ field, version_only=True)
                          File "/usr/share/pycentral-data/pyversions.py", line 172, in requested_versions_for_runtime
                          vinfo = parse_versions(vstring)
                          File "/usr/share/pycentral-data/pyversions.py", line 58, in parse_versions
                          raise ValueError, 'error parsing Python-Version attribute'
                          ValueError: error parsing Python-Version attribute
                          dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/update-manager-core_1%3a0.87.8_amd64.deb (--unpack):
                          subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
                          Errors were encountered while processing:
                          /var/cache/apt/archives/python-apt_0.7.4ubuntu5_amd64.deb
                          /var/cache/apt/archives/update-manager-core_1%3a0.87.8_amd64.deb
                          E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

P.S. Logging in to kde3 is no problem since removing the two language packages that people recommended earlier in this thread. It's just kde4 that does not want to start.

Comment

yup... mine doesn't go back to KDM.. instead it flashes all kinds of symbols on the screen and just hangs there....

Sigh.. I was so happy to have my system working to.....

Kev

Comment

yup -- same here. KDE4 gets to the hard drive icon, then hiccups and back to the login GUI. Reinstalled the Nvidia driver, doesn't matter.

Hello, KDE 3.5!

Comment

yup -- same here. KDE4 gets to the hard drive icon, then hiccups and back to the login GUI. Reinstalled the Nvidia driver, doesn't matter.

Hello, KDE 3.5!
                                It's all tears in Kubuntuville as all the little Koohs sit by the light of their screens wondering if they'll be stuck in KDE3 long enough to go through the trouble of making it pretty or not...

hehe.

At least KDE3 still works.. cause if I had to reinstall again I would honestly have to give another Distro a try.

Kev

Comment

Working...
                                X