This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hardy stops during boot after KDM

My GUI is working, now; I fixed whatever the problem was by reinstalling the kubuntu-desktop metapackage. What was odd was that I didn't uninstall anything I'm aware of that would effect the KDE4 display, and that running a KDE3 session worked like it was supposed to . . . strange
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Well installing kde4 has allowed me to boot into the gui. But nothing else is running. I can't load up adapt, network manager. or anything that has to do with kde3. -_-

I've tried reinstalling the kubuntu-desktop metapackage and that doesn't seem to be helping at all. KDE 3 just doesn't want to run on my laptop anymore. I've also tried dibl's post, that didn't work either.

Comment

OK, last idea here -- from the Mepis forum, folks say they get their new Nvidia cards past the KDE splash screens with a kernel boot option "xdrvr=fbdrv". I didn't need it, but you might as well try it if nothing else is working.

Comment

nope. nothing still. Somewhere, somehow kde 3 isn't setting up my video card drivers and screen. KDE4 shows gui, but none of the programs that have kde3 work -_-. adapt isn't working, but at least terminal is. guess i'm out of luck until the next alpha comes out. hopefully that fixes the problem.

Comment

This is all very strange stuff.

Hopefully the next alpha does fix it. 11 days away! (I think)

Kev

Comment

Funny ... well, kinda.

With all the trouble you guys are having, I was pretty nervous when I accepted the "dist upgrade" that Adept was showing last night -- the second one for the day. But, as far as I can tell, the only thing that's wrong with my HH/KDE4 64-bit system is Flash, which died sometime when I wasn't looking (again). I tried running Kilz' script installer on it, choosing "Gutsy" for the OS since that's the latest it offers, but no soap. Otherwise, KDE4 seems to be just fine, and I don't feel much impulse to try the KDE3 stuff at this point.

Interestingly, Flash died on my Mepis 7 system as well .... but yet it runs fine on sidux.

So it's OK -- just as long as I can watch Louis Prima sing "I'm Just a Gigolo" on youtube.com.

Comment

So it's OK -- just as long as I can watch Louis Prima sing "I'm Just a Gigolo" on youtube.com.

Since you have nspluginwrapper installed, you can download a fresh Flash tarball, unpack it, and move the libflashplayer.so file to your /usr/lib/firefox/plugins directory. Then, run the command "nspluginwrapper -i /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so" and you should be good to go...the repos' version of Flash died on me too, probably 3 or 4 days ago :P
                Asus G1S-X3:
                Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Nice -- thanks Integr8e -- I'll try that tonight.

EDIT: YOU DA MAN, Integr8e!

Thanks -- ole Louis never sounded better!

Comment

well strange enough. My friend has kubuntu 64b 7.10 installed on his dell inpsiron 6400 everything was working when he reinstalled. But just a few minutes ago he updated kubuntu and now he's also got the same problem were the login screen freezes at init system services, then it drops back to KDM.

strange bug -_-

Comment

If you haven't yet, try what fixed it for me -> reinstall the kubuntu-desktop metapackage. One or more of the dependencies seems to somehow effect KDE4's display, even though - as far as I can tell - they are all KDE3 apps and aren't really connected to graphical output of any kind
                      Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Well, I had Flash working great, thanks Integr8e.

However, being who I am, I couldn't leave it alone and installed Firefox 3 Beta. Guess what? No Louis Prima!

I played with it for awhile -- installed flashplugin-nonfree, mozillaplugin-gnash, and Kilz script + Integr8e's fix for it. nada

Probably it's due to the beta-condition of the new Firefox -- I just wanted to alert folks.

Comment

Well I don't know what they have done wrong with it then, as I have been running Firefox3 okay for ages! Okay not running it at the mo, but when I was, sometimes the Flash would be already incorporated, sometimes I just needed to go to a 'install Flash' website, eg, the new BBC beta website installs it okay dibl, its www. bbc.co.uk then choose the beta edition as your web page and as it needs flash it usually installs it okay.

But this news is really strange! Sounds like Mozilla are going backwards with Firefox3 it was brill!

TG

Comment

@TG, this Flash problem is probably related to my 64-bit architecture .... unless you tell you're running 64-bit too, in which case I'll be requesting your recipe!

Comment

Hello,

I have had this same problem (kde not starting) and i believe this thread has the solution:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091347.0

If you install libpam_? (I am away right now and i forget the pkg) then you see that ksmserver is the problem. It appears that the two language pack modules mentioned in this thread have messed up ksmserver.

Cheers.

Comment

That appears to be a real fix!

Do I take the chance of screwing my machine up with HH for the third weekend in a row?

Comment

Working...
                                X