X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thread for those taking the plunge.

Originally posted by Fintan
    That could make a difference. my HH is a fresh install.
    mine too, from the alternate cd

Comment

I just installed Hardy Heron using the update application and it went really well. I was going to wait for the new version until April, but I had to get the latest HPLIP Toolbox for my printer, so decided upgrading made sense.

Everything works great, and a lot of things are better in 8.04 than 7.10, even though it's an alpha release. I'm testing all the functions and features and will write up a report in another dicussion soon, but just wanted to say it is going well for me so far!

Matt

Comment

I'm running a fresh install of 8.04 A3 on a Gateway Laptop with dual boot it has a 160GB HD and 1GB of memory and Centrino Duo 1600Mhz

Runs like a charm including Samba Network and DSL over eth and wlan

quite happy so far !!
        georghess<br />------------------------<br />Beautiful Oregon Coast

Comment

I'm considering taking the plunge to HH as well. Gutsy has been just a nightmare for me especially compared to the stability I experienced with Feisty. I know how to download the iso and do a clean install. However, if I take the plunge, I'd like to try the normal upgrade path first. How do I do some from Gutsy to Hardy? Do I just change all of the repositories in Adept or Synaptic to read "hardy" where it now says "gutsy"? Also will the 3rd party repos that are invaluable such as medibuntu work with Gutsy if they do not yet have Hardy ones available?

Comment

You won't be able to activate a "version upgrade" from Gutsy to HH until after HH is released, AFAIK (mid-April).

I've been pleasantly surprised at how stable HH A4 has been. At this moment, the only thing that doesn't work for me is Kooka -- it doesn't see my scanner, for some reason. Compiz, VMWare, Amarok, Firefox 3, Kopete, Google Earth are all running correctly here. So if you're seriously interested, maybe you should just "jump in".

Comment

So my only choice would be a clean install?? If so, I suppose I can't go any worse than Gutsy. I really hate Gutsy. It may not be this way for everybody but it has been horribly unstable for me compared to past upgrades. After a recent normal update via the updater, my scanner is recognized but running Kooka or Xsane require root access now. Also, k9copy (my absolute favorite dvd ripper ... very simple to sue) no longer works at all. It gives an error when I try to save the DVD iso to my portable drive which is necessary due to the size and space constraints on my internal partitioned drive ... and then when I do allow it to try and save the iso to the local drive, it makes it about 10% thru the ripping process and crashes. It's never acted this way before. I feel like stamping my feet and shouting "I want my k9copy back!". :P

But I digress .... so basically, if I want to plunge to Hardy now, I'd need to burn to a disk image and clean install? And after that all of the alphas will update via the updater with the final doing the same as well?

Comment

Originally posted by myke

so basically, if I want to plunge to Hardy now, I'd need to burn to a disk image and clean install? And after that all of the alphas will update via the updater with the final doing the same as well?
                Yep, and yep.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...hardy/alpha-4/

Bon voyage!

Comment

Like I said ... I know it's an alpha release but it couldn't be any worse than the current version of Gutsy. I remember the last beta I used was Dapper as it was consistantly better than it's predecessor. Maybe I'll have the same luck with Hardy beta and I'll get my k9copy and scanner programs working like they should (and hope nothing else breaks in the process!).

Comment

I don't know what is wrong with Kooka -- my Epson 6400 USB scanner is sitting there on the USB bus, but Kooka only finds my PVR card and my webcam. But, I'm hoping that will be fixed during the remaining development time -- it's not even Beta yet, and and that's the only problem I have with it.

I've even installed KDE 4. Come to think of it, the Kooka problem could be KDE 4, versus HH A4. I didn't even fool around with KDE 3.5 after I installed HH. So, I dunno about that.

Comment

have you tried xsane under kde4? Since's it's gtk based, theoretically it should work under kde 3.5 or 4, right?? What do you think of KDE 4? I like to customize my desktop alot and don't want to be hindered by yet-to-be-completed features in KDE 4 if it's limited right now. I move panels around, change their sizes, etc etc. Would you think it'd be best to stick with KDE 3.5 or have you found KDE 4 fairly workable? I know 4.1 has been released by the KDE team with some improvements. Is it part of Hardy alpha 4?

Comment

i took the plunge also.

i had the problem with a borken openoffice package for which i proposed a solution.
                        i had also a problem for the nvidia driver fixed by the solution for 3vi1.

so far working fine, i haven't tested kde4 for the moment. , i want to wait a bit before testing it

Comment

Originally posted by myke

have you tried xsane under kde4? Since's it's gtk based, theoretically it should work under kde 3.5 or 4, right?? What do you think of KDE 4?
                          Yep, xsane is installed. Kooka does a great job finding my webcam and my Win TV PVR card. LOL No scanner anywhere, according to Kooka. :P Oh, well, that's why it's "Alpha". (I keep a couple of spare OS's working at all times ....)

Yes, I'm getting kind of used to KDE4 -- I think it will be a fine DE. Like anything, you need to get used to it. The menu scrolling thing really doesn't seem as efficient to me as the old KMenu -- but it is more compact on the screen. I couldn't stand the default wallpaper for 3 minutes -- went to kde.org and got something nicer. You can see a screenshot with it in the Gallery.

Comment

Xsane is installed but does it work (just clarifying)? I ask as I've had scanner troubles under Gutsy as well and actually prefer Xsane anyway as it offers more options so if it works under KDE 4, I'd certainly like that.

So how will it work for apps that don't yet have native KDE 4 libraries? If, say, k9copy is built on KDE 3 libraries and eventually updates to KDE 4, would an update auto remove the KDE 3 libs and packages that k9copy was dependent upon (as long as no other package needed them of course)?

Also do you find that the restricted drivers, win32 codecs, dvd playback and rip libraries work equally as well under Hardy with KDE 4 as they did previously under KDE 3? I only ask this as I know since Hardy is in alpha there won't be official repos for it and I wonder will I be able to add 3rd party repos for things like medibuntu that are listed as for Gutsy until ones for Hardy are officially released?

In other words ... I'm quite anxious and excited to try KDE 4, but I still want to have my handy packages to work that I'm used to with such as K3b, k9copy, and even a few gtk apps such as audio tag tool.

Thanks for the replies btw ... I often have a lot of questions and don't want to feel like I'm bugging anyone!

Comment

Working...
                            X