This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Canon BJC-4200 not likely (for me) to get working

I know this printer is real old, but it works through winDoze. Wish it'd work in kubuntu.

[this was assumed, not known as true] Old must = everyone expects us to afford whatever.

"Maybe I should just afford an upgrade for the printer"

[Edit] XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX----

'XXXXXXXXXXX'

Re: Canon BJC-4200 impossible to get working

You're certainly not encouraging anyone to respond, but I'll take my chances: Have you looked at THIS PAGE at the OpenPrinting database? If so, did you try both drivers, and what happened?

Comment

Re: [Edited] Canon BJC-4200 not likely (for me) to get working

Thanks askreiger - I did go thru that page and did as best as I could understand what it said. My printer is

a parallel port so I use a usb to parallel cable. It was recognized when unplugged and replugged. It didn't

respond to my test print from kate. with the message:

Catastrophe! - kNotify

A print error occurred. Error message received from system:

[X]

Empty print command.

[OK]

This is where I just gave up. If needed I can save a file to a .txt file and boot winDoze

to print it out. I've saved a bunch of kSystemLog lines in case I decide to spend a bunch

of time trying to understand whats happening but I'm finding myself tired of being stuck

on something that it seems to me should be so simple.

But again thanks, I might try again someday.

[edit] P.S. Did my cat-pic get dumped? It was a copy from a webpage, but I thought it was in

the free to use (GNU) area.

Comment

Re: [Edited] Canon BJC-4200 not p ossible (for me) to get working

I'd suggest sending us an edited copy of the system log lines. Look for entries with the words "print(*) or CUPS and the word error. Pull out a seven or eleven line excerpt with the target line in the middle. Somebody here will take a look at them and (hopefully) find the relevant line that tells you what went wrong. You also might want to look into a directory called /var/log/cups. CUPS, the Common Unix Printing System, keeps track of events in some files in that directory. One of them is called "error_log".

NEVER GIVE UP! When you feel like taking a hammer to the whole computer, knock off for a day or so and wait for a brainstorm to hit.

Comment

Re: [Edited] Canon BJC-4200 not likely (for me) to get working

This is from kSystemLog when attempt to print simple kate test

05/22/2009 08:10:50 AM ds2 kernel [25971.395304] audit(1242997850.024:3): type=1503 operation="inode_permission" requested_mask="::rw" denied_mask="::rw" name="/dev/tty" pid=4321 profile="/usr/sbin/cupsd" namespace="default"

I don't know what it means.

onward........

Comment

Re: [Edited] Canon BJC-4200 not p ossible (for me) to get working

I don't know what it means.
            Neither do I! But it looks as if you have a permissions problem. It seems (meaning I'm not sure) that you don't have permission to use /dev/tty/, which is the basic serial IO device! (They really used to be teletype machines 50 years ago.) The easiest way for me to describe how to check this is to give you some konsole commands to run. Therefore, you have to start a konsole: (with your mouse click: K->utilities->terminal). In the terminal that opens type
            Code:
            cd /dev/
            ls -l tty
            These two commands change your working directory to /dev/ (where the devices live) and then tell you what's up with the tty.

You will get a line of arcane nonsense that should say:
            Code:
            crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 5, 0 2009-05-21 19:24 tty
            Of course you didn't reboot your system at 7:24 PM, last night so your date and time entry will differ. The important thing, however is the "rw-rw-rw-" that says that root (who owns the tty), the tty "group", and (most important) you and any other random user logged on to your computer can read and write to the serial output device, which is your printer. That's where I conjecture that the problem may lie.

Comment

[SOLVED] Re: [Edited] Canon BJC-4200 not likely (for me) to get working

Success. I went into system settings and under user management I added myself to the tty group.

Thanks, askrieger.

Comment

Working...
              X