This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting files from Dish DVR

I searched for an answer to this, but found nothing in the archives. What I would like to do is copy files off the hard drive in my Dish DVR522 satellite receiver. The Dish people say that their file system is proprietary, but I am wondering if that is the whole story. I was wondering if anyone here has done this and could pass along some tips on to me.
    TIA, Bob I

Re: Getting files from Dish DVR

I can't imagine their files, if not their filesystem, not having a proprietary structure. It's possible that they might use some variant of a common file system, but if their files are not proprietary then they would have been distributed all over the 'net by now.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I believe they are encrypted as well. The only way to get the shows off a dvr is to play them while recording, just as if you were copying a vcr tape to a hard drive

Comment

When I changed providers, I also wanted to copy what I had on the recorder. The only way I was able to do it was to play the movies to my computer through my Hauppauge PVR 150 TV card, and capture them. I used VLC for the capture and DeVeDe to record them to a DVD. It is very time consuming. But I know of no other solution. On the plus side, when I asked the old provider what they wanted me to do with the equipment, I was told it belonged to me, and I could do what i wanted, so I salvaged a very usable 160GB hard drive from the recorder.

Comment

Working...
        X