This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S3 Virge Video drivers

I have an old Toshiba laptop that uses the S3 Virge video chipset, and I need to know if there is a driver for Hardy? It always defaults to low definition regardless of the distro. I'd like to at least get 1024x768.
    AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Re: S3 Virge Video drivers

xserver-xorg-video-s3virge provides a driver for your card. I expect it is what is in use but you can tell by looking at the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Try
    grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Comment

Well, here is where my inexperience fails me. I verified that the s3virge driver is installed, and even reinstalled it, but the xorg.conf file still shows that it is using a generic VESA driver. The default resolution is 800x600, and I suspect that it just doesn't have enough memory to run HD video, so this will have to do. This is an older laptop with limited resources that I am running Xubuntu on. It will run Kubuntu, but the KDE window manager uses up all the available memory. It has 160mb and is not expandable. Thanks for the help. At least now I know what I am dealing with.
      AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Comment

I would suggest that you copy the existing xorg.conf file to xorg.conf.orig and then edit the xorg.conf file to say
        Driver "s3virge"
        and restart kdm. It will probably make a difference. If you have 4MB or more of RAM on your card you whoulc be able to get 1024x768 in 16 bit color. "Man s3virge" will show you some other options you might want to look into.

Comment

Working...
        X