This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

printing with kubuntu

I have a bizarre problem. I just installed a few weeks ago Kubuntu on my dell precision M65 (8.04). I used Opensuse for years but had tried Kubuntu before. I have a Dell printer connected through a usb port on my computer (I tried many ports with the same results). Kubuntu just does not detect the printer!!! I tried another printer with the same results. The ports are nicely working for any tasks but with the printer it is just not detected. When I try to use the manager to add a printer it just says there is no local printer connected to a USB port! I have also tons of other problems trying to connect to the network printers, but this problem with this local printer is so frustrating I will very soon go back to Opensuse!

Any help welcome.

Re: printing with kubuntu

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...5076#msg175076

There is no help in that thread, but a similar issue... you might want to watch it. Good luck to you!

Comment

Not sure if this will help but Dell printers are usually made by someone else like Lexmark so maybe if you tracked the equivalent Lexmark down and checked it's compatability with Linux. I've had simingly strange printer problems only to find that all I needed to do was unplug and replug the printer in and it reset itself under Kubuntu. I use an HP all-in-one that works like a charm.
      Hope this is some help.
      harecanada<br />Running Kubuntu Hardy Heron<br />Dell Inspiron 531<br />500 gb HD<br />3 gb RAM

Comment

Does your printer show up when you run lsusb? This is a strange time in Kubuntu with KDE4 changing so rapidly. I use Jaunty and I think it may be more usable than Intrepid just because of how rapidly things are being fixed. I know that new versions of some of the printer configs have been coming out regularly. Do you have system-config-printer-kde system-config-printer-common and kde-printer-applet installed? You can check with
        dpkg -l | grep system-config
        and
        dpkg -l | grep printer
        I expect that lsusb will show your printer is found by the hardware but the software configuration is falling short, and we may be able to fix that.

Comment

Working...
        X