Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safely Remove USB Drive... Icon stays on desktop!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safely Remove USB Drive... Icon stays on desktop!

I've done lots of searching and only found people who couldn't get their drive to safely umount. Mine does!

When I right click the desktop icon for the USB Drive and select "Safely remove" the unmount window pops up and does it thing.

I know that it unmounts because the folder in /media goes away, so I unplug it, but the icon stays on the desktop. So it's unmounted, but I think the icon just stays there.

If there is not a solution to this problem, is there at least away to get rid of the icon?

This is on 8.04. I've found lots of USB not unmounting problems, but not this one. A reboot fixes it (of course) and I suspect a logout/login would as well. Any ideas please?
    Jester's Ring

Re: Safely Remove USB Drive... Icon stays on desktop!

Right-Click > Refresh Desktop?
    or, re-start X (Ctr+Alt+Backspace)?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hey, thanks for the ideas Qqmike...

Originally posted by Qqmike
      Right-Click > Refresh Desktop?
      Nope, doesn't effect anything.

Originally posted by Qqmike
      or, re-start X (Ctr+Alt+Backspace)?
      Umm... My understanding is that Ctr+Alt+Backspace will immediately terminate all processes related to XWin and restart it. This seems rather... Extreme. Anyway, I did K->Log Out->Log Out and logged back it, and it's gone and that's fine.

But hardly a good solution.
      Jester's Ring

Comment

If you are actually "Safely Removing" and not simply "Unmounting", and you can use your USB device aat some time after doing so, then you are O.K. When I select "Safely Remove", it umounts and deletes the icon. I don't think there's any harm in having an unmounted device icon "stuck" on the screen. There's probably a bunged up script somewhere

You've already noted that the mount point is gone after doing this. If the "umount" notice was untrue, you could actually end up with a completely toasted USB device -- I have one of those. I keep it as a reminder to be careful .
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

There is a difference between unmounting and ejecting.... could that be part of the problem?

Comment

You can't "eject" a HD device.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              You can't "eject" a HD device.
              I can eject an ipod. I should say, I have to eject my ipod in amarok.

I better modify one more time to be clear (since Snowhog and his/her ten thousand posts are disagreeing with me)... perhaps eject and unmount are the exact same thing (I am no expert), but all I do know for sure is that if I simply Safely Remove my ipod, it doesn't recognize it as such (the "do not remove" screen stays active), but if i issue the eject command it acts as it should.

Comment

Friendly discourse is always welcome. Let me rephrase my last statement: You can't eject what has been identified as non-removeable media.

Comment

And that is right. I just stuck "Chunky" (a USB stick) into my external USB hub. It showed as an icon, name Chunky, Dolphin opened up, and the contects were displayed. I closed Dolphin, right clicked on Chunky, and selected "Safely Remove". The kio_umountwrapper dialog popped in and then out, and the Chunky icon changed to an unmounted icon. I pulled Chunky out of the hub and immediately, the icon disappered. Yes, for non-removable media, "Safely Remove" is the only exit-type option available.

And it works. Hope somebody can try a removable media-type USB device to test what's available; but Snowhog is undoubtedly correct!!
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490
                    ...but Snowhog is undoubtedly correct!!
                    For the options available via the GUI yes, but I was referring to commandline options. "Eject" isn't just for breakfast anymore!

Comment

A freshly dd'd 8G USB memory stick, formatted FAT32 and inserted into the USB connector, triggered the expected "recently plugged" notifier. Since I forgot to label it, it is simply called "Volume (vfat)". I clicked it, and it opened in Dolphin. A right-click on "Safely Remove 'Volume (vfat)' " on the applicable "Volume (vfat)" item on the left side of the Dolphin window lets me unmount it, so I can pull it out with no damage to data. It seems to work entirely as expected.
                      dibl@ibex:~$ uname -a
                      Linux ibex 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Thu Jan 29 19:28:32 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
                        ...but I was referring to commandline options.
                        Interesting.

Comment

sudo eject /media/IPOD

Comment

Working...
                          X