This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.04.1 root file system goes read only

Once a day about 5 min. after I turn my system on the entire file system goes read only. I have to reboot and do a manual FSCK, it will fix about 40 to 50 inodes and ask me to reboot. When that is done everything is OK till the next day. I have posted this on a different forum, and was instructed to boot to recovery mode drop to command prompt and umount sda5 then FSCK . Did not work. This is a dual boot with WinXP and a Linux system. I have had Mandiva and Suse both loaded one time or another and they worked fine, but I prefer Kubuntu.

MSI K9NBPM2 AMD 64 X2 dual core 5600 main board
    3 Gigs of ram
    on board Nvidia video
    Kubuntu 8.04.1 32 bit
    320 Gig WD IDE hard drive

Re: 8.04.1 root file system goes read only

That's bad. What filesystem format are you using? Ext3 is best for the root filesystem. I've had XFS fail the way you are describing.

I've had great luck with Western Digital drives (there are 4 of them in my desktop box), but the sad fact is any drive can slowly fail. You might want to run a test on it:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3097029.0

If it's not the filesystem or the drive, then probably start reviewing dmesg and the system log.

Comment

Re: 8.04.1 root file system goes read only

dibl

I am using Ext3 for the file system. I have had the same problem since the I built the box and the drive was new.

Comment

Working...
      X