X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Install Kubuntu on new tablet pc

Hey guys, long time no see.

Anyway I'm hoping you can help me out here, I was really looking forward to getting Kubuntu onto my new tablet, and this was a real dream crusher.

I wubi'd in a Kubuntu fresh off of my 8.04 CD (I'm not used to KDE4 just yet, preference thing. Plus I have NEVER had a problem with 8.04, I trust it. hehe) and after it was done installing under Windows (Vista Home Premium if important) I rebooted it and it booted up to do the rest of its installing. Well the progress bar got about 80% full, then it stopped, unloaded itself as if shutting down, and turned off the PC. Didn't reboot, actually turned it off. I thought ok, that's a bit weird. Maybe a bad installation. Reinstalled. Same thing. Then I figured maybe my prized 8.04 CD got screwed up in storage, so I booted it up and went to check it for defects. The Loading Linux Kernel message appeared, got to 100%, and the system halted. Had to be shut down from the power button.

Next I figured, OK, maybe it's because it's an older distro. I got a wubi off the net, and this time went with Ubuntu. Then of course I got the verbose loading screen which was handy, and it halted on the package I believe was called powerownd or something to that effect. Sounds like linux doesn't like my new tablet's power management system.

OK, specs:

HP TX2150 Tablet PC
    2.1 AMD Turion X2
    3 GB DDR2 Memory
    250 GB HDD
    Vista Home Premium, SP1.

In the meantime I'm going to keep trying different distros, see if anything sticks. But if I'm going to use linux on here I'd REALLY like to use Kubuntu, it was my first linux and I love it to death.

Thanks everybody!

Re: Can't Install Kubuntu on new tablet pc

Does your beautiful, shiny, tablet machine use SATA? I don't have a Linux box myself that uses SATA (all my personal machines are old ), but I have seen postings about SATA settings (AHCI, or something like that vs. another setting), in BIOS that needs to be tweaked. I think Dibl has posted about that from time to time. Hope this helps.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Yes, actually it does. Got any info on what exactly needs to be tweaked? (Hopefully I can tweak it, cross your fingers than HP didn't lock the BIOS)

Comment

See dibl's Re: sata drive post. It might be what you need to check on.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

As crazy as this may sound, I think it failed to boot because the screen was flipped.

Comment

That could be bizarre, but maybe not. Anyway, it's working now, right?
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
            X