Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HP-K8600dn Help Needed Please - CLOSED !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP-K8600dn Help Needed Please - CLOSED !

Hello;

I just purchased a brand-new HP-K8600dn printer for a great price. This is one of those inkjet printers with its own CPU and 32MB of RAM so it speaks PCL and PCL3 natively. It is also network-capable right out of the box with it's built-in ethernet connection.

* How difficult is it to install an HP network printer in Kubuntu? Yes, I am currently using a home LAN / Wifi system with a 4-port router.
    * Once installed, will Kubuntu be able to use all of the printer's features?
    * Any experienced-based comments about this particular printer are eagerly invited.

Thanks very much.

Best Regards
    mhumm2
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Re: HP-K8600dn Printing Problem

Well I installed the K8600dn printer via ethernet cable to my router using the HPLIP toolbox. Once I selected network printer, the program found the printer, selected the PDD file, completed the install and printed the alignment pages and a test page beautifully. I can print documents with text and graphics right from office, but for some reason I can not print just a photo jpg file. Thinking the problem lies with the application, I tried: OO- Word, flprint, photoprint, digikam, and even the HPLIP toolbox directly.

The file seems to get to the printer because the status changes to "processing," but the printer doesn't do anything else. It's almost like the data format I'm sending to it is not being recognized for some reason.

I'm hoping it's an issue of "operator error" and I have some incorrect settings someplace. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mhumm2
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Re: HP-K8600dn Help Needed Please

Bump! This problem still exists. More details:

I don't know what the problem is. At first I thought it was just a graphics-only document sent at photo resolutions, but it's not. Even text and graphics at normal resolution refuses to print. I don't know where to start; drivers, PDD file, settings. I've tried many different settings.

Perhaps I should upgrade the version of the HPLIP software and reinstall the printer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar with a network postscript HP printer? At this point, I don't believe the problem is model specific, but I could be wrong.

What does work:
      Plain text documents print without any problems at. I'm using Open Office Word and another user is using M$ Word via a wireless LAN connection.

mhumm2

Comment

What version of HPLIP are you using? In the repositories is 2.8.7. On the site is 2.8.12.

But it says that HPLIP 2.7.10 added support for the HP Officejet Pro K8600 (DJGenericVP)

Have you thought about contacting HP by email?
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

aroshester;

Thank you for the reply. Since my printer was added in a version older than the one I installed, I hesitate to upgrade HPLIP. According to that site, there's really no reason to.

Yes, emailing HP may provide some suggestions, but when it comes to Linux, they tend to redirect to non-HP sites and resources I've found to be out of date. Hopefully, someday maybe HP will FULLY embrace our chosen OS. I suppose I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again.

mhumm2

Comment

Bump. This issue still exists and I now have more information available. Due to a college class I'm taking, I had to install Windoze XP onto another hard drive and I installed my HP K8600dn printer via a tcp/ip port since I set it to a static ip address. This is the same installation configuration I used with Kubuntu.

I can't get this printer to fail! I don't understand how a Linux print driver can cause paper handling problems on a post script printer. I'm really confused about this. It hasn't picked up more than one page or pulled a single page unevenly and jammed it up yet.

Can someone please shed some light on this? Of course a solution would be nice too.

mhumm2

Comment

Working...
            X