X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot mount / access one of my windows partitions [SOLVED] - fstab entries

Hi

I've been searching around for a while but cannot seem to find anything that looks like my issue, so forgive me if this question has been asked before...

I recently installed 8.04 and was able to mount all my windows partitions shortly after installation. I have now played around a bit and upgraded and installed some items. I have a 1 Gig SATA drive (sdc1) which acts as a repository for all my media - music games and movies on my machine. I can still mount any other drive, but not the repository. I have a dual boot system with 64 bit Vista ultimate, and have booted Vista and the disk is accessible under Vista. The error I get in Dolphin is "Permissions Denied". When I try do do it as root the error changes to "Could not mount device. The reported error was: No such medium". This is what prompted me to boot Vista and check it out. The disk seems fine and was mountable before. Any ideas?

Everybody seems to ask about fstab in similar cases - so here goes:

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options>   <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/sdd2
    UUID=d4243079-e7d4-4d3d-bc5b-9d6a95538ce9 / ext3 nouser,relatime,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
    # /dev/sdd3
    UUID=6a650e6d-8af6-4a0a-8ed7-a0b31dcd6477 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
    LABEL=isofile /media/isofile auto nouser,atime,noauto,ro,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    <device> isofile iso9660 noauto,loop 0 0
    <device> cdrom0 auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    LABEL=Repository <mount\040point> auto nouser,noauto,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    LABEL=Repository /usr/mnt/repository auto nouser,noauto,atime,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    You'll see evidence there of me trying to create mount points for ISO files - i'll get to that later, got bigger fish to fry right now

Re: Cannot mount / access one of my windows partitions

Hopefully it's more than 1GB!

Here are the first three lines from my /etc/fstab file, which are all SATA drive/partitions:
    Code:
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options>   <dump> <pass>
    proc      /proc     proc  defaults    0   0
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=4ee99d57-a4e3-4381-a900-7a57cfa9eea2 / jfs  noatime,errors=remount-ro 0   1
    # /dev/sda2
    UUID=8d312c3c-a451-473f-a2fb-7a1a0f8bbb9c  /media/docs    ext3 auto,users,rw,exec,noatime 0   2
    # /dev/sdb1
    UUID=1a1ffa9b-a8f6-43e9-bb1f-fbc32934018b  /media/disk_2   ext3 auto,users,rw,exec,noatime 0   2
    If you will determine the UUID of your /dev/sdc1, by issuing the blkid command in the Konsole, then you probably can safely paste the last line of my /etc/fstab file right after your "swap" line, edit the UUID and mount point to match your setup, and then you can start deleting or commenting out those lines in your /etc/fstab that aren't helping.

Comment

Sorry dibl

My eyes have opened somewhat and I realized I'm doing the tech equivalent of lying on my face in the shallow end of the pool........
      I think I'll just sit up now.

The drive is in fact closer to 1 TB (amazing what difference 1 letter can make )
      I have also messed around with mount points at some stage and I have created several mount points for the one device by the looks of things . I'll try to correct it, but rest assured I'll be back if I struggle for an extended period...

Comment

Originally posted by !sense

I realized I'm doing the tech equivalent of lying on my face in the shallow end of the pool........
        I think I'll just sit up now.

Heh heh heh -- yep, we all do that at times, but fewer than 100% are willing to admit it.

If your Linux OS can see that hdd with
        Code:
        sudo fdisk -lu
        and/or
        Code:
        blkid
        , then you can relax about the "SATA" thing -- it's irrelevant to getting it mounted and with correct permissions. Normally "root" owns hard drives, but users should be able to read and write to them.

Comment

Could you let us have the output of
          Code:
          sudo fdisk -l
          This will show all your recognised hard disks and partitions - whether they are mounted or not.

In your fstab you will see all this UUID stuff - that is an individual code for each partition and a royal pain in the behind (until dibl came along with his blkid command). To find out the UUID you need to run
          Code:
          sudo blkid
          Armed with the above info you may want to tinker with your fstab yourself (wow, that is almost standing up ))

Alternatively post the output of those two commands and we should be able to get your windoze thingy back on the road.

HTH
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Haha!
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks, all done..

I did not really suspect SATA to be the issue, seeing as all my drives except one are SATA drives, just thought I'd include that for the sake of completeness. I managed to add several entries in fstab to try and mount this drive during bootup with a GUI tool, but it pays to go and have a look in the file from time to time to see what you've done with all the pretty pictures. The text tells a different story

I'll do it properly this time - I think I gathered enough bits from different posts to construct a proper line in fstab to mount the disk the way it should be. I'll just spend some time first to see where I failed and learn something from it while I'm at it.

Thanks for the quick response - will see you around

Comment

Working...
              X