X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanner for Kubuntu

Hello!
    Here I am with many negative films (from 1947-) what would be nice to digitalis. So, I need a scanner.
    As my PC is running on Kubuntu HH, the scanner should be compatible with Kubuntu.

Please, help me. Which scanners go smoothly with Kubuntu?

Thanks,

Tamas

Re: Scanner for Kubuntu

I suggest first finding a selection of scanners that suit your needs (negative scanning)
    and then checking out Sane's device database search. The listings aren't specific to Kubuntu, but for the most part if it is supported by sane, the scanner will work in Hardy.

Quite a lot of the devices work, some need a tweak or firmware, though some are not supported at all

In most cases the scanner's button's don't work without external tools (and prayer) but the gui scanning programs kooka and xsane work well.

Comment

You'll probably want to use Xsane for your scanning software. It offers settings for scanning negatives. Kooka does not. I have an Epson scanner that I bought specifically for the purpose of scanning negatives, and 35mm slides, and it works well, but I have not tried in in Linux. It's an Epson Perfection 3490 Photo. The software that came with it works fine in windows, but it won't work in Linux. And I can't get Kooka or xsane to recognize the scanner. I have an HP scanner that works great, but it is not specifically setup to do negatives and slides like the Epson. I intend to research this further and will post here if I find the solution.

Comment

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=108256&page=6

Detonate, you need a firmware file for your scanner unfortunately, but it isn't terribly difficult to set it up

Comment

Thanks for the link Claydoh, I'll report back how it works out.

Comment

I've great luck with my Epson Perfection 1640SU, although I know it's no longer on the market. Detonate's problems notwithstanding, I would look at the good quality USB scanners from Epson if I needed a new one.

Comment

Thanks a lot for ALL of YOU!
              EPSON... is something I like.
              I am checking it out... :-)
              And will see the price, as well... I would start with a good and simple one... and, later, if... I might "upgrade" to a higher performance one.

In the DB I found quite a few... what is marked as "complete"... so, I am checking them one by one... price and functionality.

Thanks, and I keep you posted here!

Tamas

Comment

Hi again!

Epson Perfection 4870 Photo Flatbed Scanner seems nice.
                Any comment? Idea? Experience?

THANKS,

Tamas

Comment

I have an Epson 1660 Perfection and use either Xsane or vuescan. Vuescan isn't open source but it is excellent scanner s/w and the last time I checked, inexpensive and you get a lifetime of upgrades with the professional version. I'm a user of vuescan only. I don't think vuescan works with the multi-purpose printers/scanner/fax machines. The list of scanners that it does work with impressive. Both Linux and Windows versions.

Comment

geezer, I also have the 1660 perfection, and can use it up to a point.

I can scan pretty much anything at 300dpi, but the higher resolutions tend to create the "out of memory" error that has been around for several years. I was hoping 8.10 would have a leg up on the rest, but it still says out of memory. this is on a dual core acer laptop with 2gb of ram, and top reports 1.4gb free.

I can't see how a 3in by 3in picture scanned at 2400 dpi could be "out of memory". A 3x3 photo should be under 200MB at that resolution, so memory shouldn't be an issue.

I have read other boards and nobody seems to have an answer.

Can you scan at high resolutions? I have lots of old photos that want to be made digital for distribution, but I seem to be limited in many ways. There was one post in

https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/in...86&atid=410366

that detailed how to get rid of the error, but I can't seem to find the actual files that were changed. I'm thinking those were from the source. I'm not sure I want to go that far. I just want to scan at good resolutions.

Comment

I've never had any trouble scanning at any resolution using either xsane or vuescan either under Kubuntu - hardy and previous version - or under Fedora previously.

I just checked using vuescan at 1600 resolution and although it took a while to process for saving to a file, I didn't have any problem.

Have used Xsane previously with no problems at any resolution, so I wasn't aware that there was any potential problem.

8 GB memory, Intel 4 core chip.

Originally posted by suplero
                      geezer, I also have the 1660 perfection, and can use it up to a point.

I can scan pretty much anything at 300dpi, but the higher resolutions tend to create the "out of memory" error that has been around for several years. I was hoping 8.10 would have a leg up on the rest, but it still says out of memory. this is on a dual core acer laptop with 2gb of ram, and top reports 1.4gb free.

I can't see how a 3in by 3in picture scanned at 2400 dpi could be "out of memory". A 3x3 photo should be under 200MB at that resolution, so memory shouldn't be an issue.

I have read other boards and nobody seems to have an answer.

Can you scan at high resolutions? I have lots of old photos that want to be made digital for distribution, but I seem to be limited in many ways. There was one post in

https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/in...86&atid=410366

that detailed how to get rid of the error, but I can't seem to find the actual files that were changed. I'm thinking those were from the source. I'm not sure I want to go that far. I just want to scan at good resolutions.

Comment

Working...
                      X