X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Format 2GB USB with Konsole [Solved with GParted]

Friends,
    Please help. Here is the sad story Took my 2GB usb stick to printing office at University to print assignments for class, picked up a virus (or something else damaging) on their PC.
    I would like to format the USB but are unable to do so, I tried gparted but when I "unmount" it just runs and runs ....
    So I figure there has to be some other way to format the USB or do I send it to Microsoft as a Gift

Re: Format 2GB USB with Konsole

I figured a way to do it in GParted.
    1- Start GParted
    2- Insert USB (do not "browse" usb)
    3- Go "Partition" and then "Format To"

Thanks everyone, sometimes the answer is right in front of us

Comment

Re: Format 2GB USB with Konsole [Solved with GParted]

Assuming you don't have anything on that USB that you wanted to save, I would suggest that you use GParted to first remove all partitions on the stick and then recreate and format as desired. This will ensure that the entire stick is 'clean' before you put anything back on it.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

From the command line you could have used fdisk. Using it requires some familiarity but it works brilliantly (and is the back end to gparted )
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks for the help guy's.
          I followed your advice snowhog and removed partitions, then re-partitioned and formatted again, all seems to be clean now

Comment

Happy to hear that. Remember, when one ventures into the land of Windoze, caution must be the watch word. Viri aplenty are just waiting for the unprotected!
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X