This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automounting USB drives is broken - SOLVED

Hi, all I'm running Kubuntu 8.04. Sometime between now and the last update a day or two ago, the ability to automount USB drives has crapped out. It still automounts my camera, and I can synchronize my Treo 680. But there's no activity on any of my USB storage devices. Has anyone else has this problem recently and figured out a cure? I've been poking around the message log and get the following every time I plug a drive in:

Oct 11 10:30:08 rock-n-roll kernel: [ 6657.837443] usb 5-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 80
    Oct 11 10:30:09 rock-n-roll kernel: [ 6658.380868] usb 5-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 81
    Oct 11 10:30:10 rock-n-roll kernel: [ 6659.227978] usb 5-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 82
    Oct 11 10:30:10 rock-n-roll kernel: [ 6659.747428] usb 5-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 83

Thoughts? Fixes? Thanks in advance.
    In hindsight, everything can be funny<br />--Anonymous

Re: Automounting USB drives is broken

Running KDE 3.5.9 or 4.1.x?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay, no more than a thought because this happened to me once - have you tried rebooting? I am asking because your addresses look very high. Do a proper reboot with ten seconds off rather than just a restart and then try again.

Shot in the dark, but it may help...
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I'm running 3.5.9, and yes, I've rebooted twice.

Comment

Perhaps related, but OT a little... the last day or maybe two I have noticed that in 4.1.2 the New Device Notifier widget will show a drive being plugged in, but it doesn't open it when I click on the drive (as it used to)... but, if I manually find it with Dolphin it will open just fine, so not the same problem, but definitely something weird...

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've noticed that with 3.5.9, as well. Unfortunately, that's not the case here. The Storage Media view doesn't show the device, either. And I think I've figured out what happend.

I'm fairly certain that the two ports in my PCI USB card are fritzing out. I think it's a power issue. There seems to be enough power to mount my camera and sync my Treo, but not enough to mount any USB storage devices. I tried connecting a couple of them to the port occupied by my USB mouse, and the damned things mounted just fine.

So I've just spend a few hundred bucks on a new motherboard, CPU, memory and case. Two of the three fans on my chassis have died anyway, so this turns out to be the straw that broke my back.

Comment

Working...
            X