X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Sound in Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3.5 - Soundblaster Live! 24-bit

Maybe:
    Sound Problems in Ubuntu Hardy

So if your like me, you’ve been suffering through some painful sound problems in Ubuntu Hardy, apparently its a known kernel issue, so just sit tight. However, if your like me (or 90% of nerds) then you need some sort of music to code. A little digging revealed that I did not in fact have any of the alsa kernel modules installed for my current kernel. apt-get left me high and dry (also without an nvidia driver yet, but that’s an easy fix).
    The simple remedy is to just build the alsa modules yourself, a pretty painless task. The problem is, if you want to have any hope of keeping your install halfway clean, then you need to get those files tracked by dpkg so we avoid conflicts when the modules are fixed. There’s a simple solution:

sudo apt-get install module-assistant
    sudo m-a update
    sudo m-a prepare
    sudo m-a a-i alsa

This utilizes the handy module-assistant package to automatically build alsa for you. Reboot and enjoy!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

OK, after some more reading, I have come across this page: http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/linuxSoundALSA.html

I noticed under the SoundBlaster !Live variants section, the following statement:

The SB Live! Dell OEM is not really an SB Live! card, as it does not have an EMU10K1 chipset, and is supported by the snd-emu10k1x driver.

This card came installed in a Dell Dimension 9100 (my current system) so perhaps this may shed some light?

Also, on this page: http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Audigyls

It says my card cannot handle Mic or SPDIF, which I saw some posts earlier about people disabling SPDIF on this model card, and getting it to work.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to disable digital output, but I have yet to find the setting.

*edit* Snowhog, I'm currently trying the module assistant commands you posted, I'll reply back after a reboot

Comment

OK, after running those module commands and rebooting, no effect :*(

Any ideas on disabling digital output?

Comment

OK, after more investigating, I'm thinking possibly my problem is that my system detects my card as a ca0106, but it should be using the emu10k1x driver since it's a Dell, but I'm unable to find exactly where to configure this so far. I'm looking into the modprobe.d area to see if it's there.

Comment

Well, I've tried every possible solution, so I re-enabled my onboard audio, and switched speaker connection, and although it sounds kinda crappy, it's working.

I guess my sound card just isn't supported well enough to get it working yet.

Thanks for everyone that put time on this issue!

Comment

Working...
            X