This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting USB modem to work.

Not having any stomach for getting the "Winmodem" in my HP zv5000 laptop to work, I purchased a U.S.Robotics USB modem that says that it works with Linux, a driver being present in kernels 2.4 and later. I am using Kubunty Hardy, which has a later kernel, but I still cannot get the OS to use the modem. I am in a situation where I only have dial-up access, but cannot use Kubuntu to get on line. Any help would be appreciated.
    Bob I

Re: Getting USB modem to work.

turn on the modem -

in a terminal do:

Code:
    sudo wvdialconf
    then just enter the following and hit enter, once u connect do sudo apt-get install kppp

Code:
    wvdial
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

Thanks for the information. I am now back home and able to use a wide band access. The next time I am in my vacation house, I will try the above, however WHY IS THIS NECESSARY Kppp should be able to turn on the modem without one having to go to the command line. I hope that someone from Cannonical is reading this.
      Bob I

Comment

lolz / i was thinking of ubuntu for some reason..

and yes it should be able to get online - u just have to go thru the setup and configure the port... /dev/USB0 and so forth.. u may have to then lower the modem speed at the bottom.. Alas you will have to configure ur isp..

Comment

Hmmmm. I hadn't thought that I would have to configure the port. As to configuring the ISP, that is no problem. Thanks for the info.
          Bob I

Comment

ur welcome and yes u need to know the port of ur modem - wvdialconf should of shown u the port when it was scanning for the modem...

Comment

OK. I am now on line dial-up with my USRobotics modem. Thank you for the information.
              Bob I

Comment

Now, would someone explain to me why KPPP can't access "wvdialconf" and find the modem and point to it? If I were a programmer, that is how I would set it up. Then the program would only have to get the information specific to the user's installation to get him/her on line.
                Bob I

Comment

Working...
                X