This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen Brightness adjustment Locks system

Hey all, I'm new to ubuntu, but not linux. I just switched over from gentoo and I'm having some issues.

I'm using a Toshiba Tecra M9.

When ever I start it up without being plugged into the wall I get to the login screen fine but then once I log in everything goes smoothly until it tries to dim the screen brightness. As soon as the brightness changes the system locks up HARD. ctrl+alt+backspace has no effect. I once had it lock up so that a tool tip in the menu bar was only half showing because it didn't have time to fully "roll" out.

In the past, on gentoo, I was never able to adjust my brightness. If I started it without it plugged into the wall, the bios would set it at the lowest brightness level above "off". This worked well for me and I'd like to have the same behavior with ubuntu.

Does anybody know how I can entirely prevent (K)ubuntu from trying to change my screen brightness in any way at all?

Thanks,
    Grey

Edit: Also, I just got a f**king popup saying my battery was removed. It wasn't. It might be finished charging but it is most certainly as connected to my laptop as it's ever been. Is there any way to make (K)ubuntu stop all popups of every sort, particularly the ones that are just straight up untrue?

(I hate to whine, but if I wanted popups telling me things that werent true, or popups at all for that matter, I probably wouldn't have dropped the windows vista install that came with this laptop!)
Working...
X