This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resolution prob.

My screen is at 640x480, there are no other choices in the GUI display setup, before I chose my card in the setup & it was the Vesa druver, it was fine other choices were there. I went in, then picked Nvidia Geforce 8 series & now it is stuck at 640x480, I even edited the xorg.conf file, still the same res.

Re: Resolution prob.

Edward,if Screen Resolution is lost..........
    "Use 'sudo nvidia xconfig'.
    Then when it is finished, ALT-F2 'Kde su nvidia-settings'
    Open the X Configuration tab, set resolution to whatever you want it to be, leave 'Refresh' alone, and click the "Save to X Configuration File" button, then, click "OK" to save it permanently.
    Upon restarting the Server, with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE,you should get your new Resolution Setting immediately."

At a guess, you, like many others, have tried to use the 'upgrade'....to 'restricted drivers'.......for your Graphics-card....ONLY to lose the Resolution, in doing so, before giving the 'default setting' a chance to work....to see IF you have to leave well alone OR do an 'upgrade'.
    Does "If it ain't broke, don't try fixing it!."...ring a bell here?
    I may be a newbiee.....to Linux, but, I have 'tinkered/experimented' with enough computers........to leave alone 'something that IS working'.
    I run a nVidia GeForce 7 Series graphics-card in my computer. (Have tried the 'upgrade' thing, too. Always ended up losing the Resolution. Now, I do leave well alone....until such time it is proven to me that the 'restricted drivers' are required. A bridge I'll cross,later, when i come to it.)
    Worse comes to worse, Re-install Kubuntu. (If you don't have anything important installed.)

This should clean up the mess you made of things.

And, use the 'softly-softly' appoarch, taking each Task ...one Step at a time.

(This DOES include reading a hell of a lot, to understand/comprehend....before doing it. It will save you a lot of unnecessary grief...in the long run.)
    Just 'because' you are prompted....for the 'Root Password'....does not mean that you HAVE to 'configure everything in sight'.
    The 'Root Password' is an opportunity.....to have a good look around, without making any necessary changes or configuring...........to see 'what' you have got to play with.

t is "Kubuntu's KDE way' of doing things....................very similar to that of Windows Vista. (The 'security-check' thing, which I hate! But, with Kubuntu, I can live with it.......IF I want to configure anything, it's my 'decision' to use the 'Root Password', not the computer's, as in Vista.)
    To me, 'playing around' that means just that, playing around with my computer......to know 'what' it can/can not DO.

IF I 'configure' something wrongly, of course, it will play up or worse, crash.
    It will be my 'fault'...not anyone else's.
    (Because I am 'tinkering/experimenting' with Linux (OpenSueSe 11.0/Ubuntu 8.04 LTS(32-bit/64-bit)/Kubuntu 8.04)...set up on the 2nd hard-drive (under NTFS...'within Windows')..........my computer's Systems have NOT crashed.YET. However, I have Uninstalled/Reinstalled Ubuntu/Kubuntu, due to their 'Open Source' nature............with no effect on XP Pro, whatsoever...............in order to to 'Learn'.......how Linux really does work....gaining success/Knowledge/Experience in getting Applications.....to work properly, one at a time.)

That may not be everyone's 'cup of tea' appoarch, but, hey, it works...for me.
    A computer is ONLY as good it can be, IF you put the effort in...to make it so.

Comment

Working...
    X