This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer compatability (Resolved)

I have an HP F4280 all-in-one scanner, printer, copier. It works fine with Vista, so that's all I'll mention about that.

When I plugged it in to Linux, the printer was recognized as an HP 4200 series (which it is); I was not expecting Linux to even recognize it. Now, the printer says it's for Windows and Mac only, but I was wondering if there was a way to still use my printer on Kubuntu, as that's where I do my word processing with open office...

By the way, I tried using Wine to install the software on the CD. Bad idea. I had to boot into VAIO's system recovery in order for Vista to work again. I'm not sure if having both the Kubuntu and Windows partitions mounted had anything to do with it, but it could have.
    Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Re: Printer compatability

It's possible.

Do you have the HPLIP package installed? This provides a GUI and some utilities for HP printers in Linux. The GUI can be used to set up the printer and is quite friendly and it ensures that CUPS is using the correct PPD (printer description) file also. You can do much the same thing directly in CUPS, except for the extra utilities. You can either use the HPLIP version in HH, or download and install the latest version.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Re: Printer compatability

It turns out Adept does not give you the most current HPLIP out there, 2.8.7.

For the latest version, go here: http://hplip.sourceforge.net/

Follow the Setup and Installation guide located on the toolbar on the left side of the page.

Again, one less thing I'll need Vista for...

Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

Working...
      X