Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Total newbie trying to get video driver working.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total newbie trying to get video driver working.

Hello,

I'm totally new to linux. I installed Kubuntu 8.04 on my computer, dual booting with windows XP. P3 933 mhz, 512 ram, Ati Radeon 9250. I am trying to install a video driver for it. I followed the instructions online. Whenever I change the xorg.conf file and wrote Driver ="fglrx", after rebooting, it doesn't work, screen flashes a few times and then it goes directly to the kernel, not loading KDE.

I also tried to run the .run file from Ati's website but it said X server not found or something like that.

I checked Display drivers and there is a Vesa driver that is always set as primary after a reboot no matter how many times I changed it. Also, when I do fglrxinfo, it doesn't return the ati driver, it returns the mesa driver.

Please help. My KDE without the ati driver freezes for 10 seconds or so from time to time. Not sure if it has anything to do with that.

Thanks in advance.
    Jon

Re: Total newbie trying to get video driver working.

Ati Radeon 9250. I am trying to install a video driver for it. I followed the instructions online. Whenever I change the xorg.conf file and wrote Driver ="fglrx"
    Sadly, AMD (Ati) has dropped the Linux support to the Radeon 9250. The last AMD fglrx/catalyst driver with the Radeon 9250 support was:

> Fglrx wiki
    20 September, 2006. Version 8.29.6 ends support for Radeon R200 based cards (i.e., the series of Radeon 8500 through 9250).
    and that version of the driver doesn't support current version of the x server.

Opensource driver:

Package: xserver-xorg-video-ati
    This driver for the X.Org X server (see xserver-xorg for a further description) provides support for the ATI Mach, Rage, Radeon, and FireGL series. It provides the 'atimisc', 'r128' and 'radeon' sub-drivers.

Note that this is not the same as the ATI-provided, binary-only, 'fglrx' driver, which provides additional 3D functionality for some newer Radeon cards, but is not supported.

This driver provides support for Mach, Rage, Rage128, Radeon, and most FireGL series ATI cards.
    It should work with the Ati Radeon 9250.

> The open source ATI driver (xserver-xorg-video-ati)
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Try a nVidia card.
      There is a lot more support ...for these.

Comment

Originally posted by TropheusJon
        Hello,

I'm totally new to linux. I installed Kubuntu 8.04 on my computer, dual booting with windows XP. P3 933 mhz, 512 ram, Ati Radeon 9250. I am trying to install a video driver for it. I followed the instructions online. Whenever I change the xorg.conf file and wrote Driver ="fglrx", after rebooting, it doesn't work, screen flashes a few times and then it goes directly to the kernel, not loading KDE.

I also tried to run the .run file from Ati's website but it said X server not found or something like that.

I checked Display drivers and there is a Vesa driver that is always set as primary after a reboot no matter how many times I changed it. Also, when I do fglrxinfo, it doesn't return the ati driver, it returns the mesa driver.

Please help. My KDE without the ati driver freezes for 10 seconds or so from time to time. Not sure if it has anything to do with that.

Thanks in advance.
        Jon
        I just did battle with that specific card and fglrx; I gave up. As others have said, the NVIDIA cards are better supported.

Oh BTW, I ran into several mentions of the mesa stuff being a real problem - you have to take steps to remove/uninstall it before you have a chance of making the ATI drivers work.

Comment

Working...
        X