This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon i560

Anyone running Kubuntu 8.04, KDE 4, could you have a quick look and tell me if the Canon i560 is supported natively "out of the box", without having to use other drivers. I wanted to use Kubuntu 7.10, but since it had no native i560 support and just wouldn't run the i560 nicely, ended up going with Ubuntu (gnome). Now I want to upgrade to 8.04, would like to go KDE but want to have easy to set up printer support.

Cheers,
    Steve

Re: Canon i560

To my astonishment I found the following post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-10540.html

I can really recommend Google.com, this was the second tip from the top! 8)

The other thing is that generally Canon does not like to support anything but Windows and for that obnoxious act they don't deserve your money.

Comment

Originally posted by steve.t
      Anyone running Kubuntu 8.04, KDE 4, could you have a quick look and tell me if the Canon i560 is supported natively "out of the box", without having to use other drivers. I wanted to use Kubuntu 7.10, but since it had no native i560 support and just wouldn't run the i560 nicely, ended up going with Ubuntu (gnome). Now I want to upgrade to 8.04, would like to go KDE but want to have easy to set up printer support.

Cheers,
      Steve
      All I can say is, in 8.04 my Pixma ip 4000 r is working out of the box.

But / I don\t get the same nice colours as when I use W2000, so this ability is of no use for me.

Comment

openprinting.org http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...num=Canon-i560 has some interesting comments about this model. Another piece of hardware where the vendor doesn't want to give it up to Linux > .
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Thanks for your time, guys, but not much help at this stage. I have seen all these suggestions many times before. I am perfectly capable of using google.com.

I thought that maybe someone running Kubuntu 8.04 could simply do an "Install Printer", see if the Canon i560 is available for selection, and just tell me, "Yes, it's there", or "No, it's not there". The whole thing puzles me. Ubuntu 7.10 had it there for effortless instalation, right out of the box, but Kubuntu 7.10 did not. And I tried all the suggestions before, but with no luck.

Sorry to be curt, but if someone could just have a look and give me a straight Yes or No answer, I would be eternaly grateful.

Cheers,
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by steve.t

Sorry to be curt, but if someone could just have a look and give me a straight Yes or No answer, I would be eternaly grateful.

Cheers,
            Steve
            No i560.
            Only two starting with i:

iP4000 and imageRunner 330s,

Comment

Thank you nilsA, I am eternally grateful.

Cheers,
              Steve

Comment

Steve,
                I found the way that worked for me was to use the cups add printer 'wizard'. Make sure the printer is connected and turned on and type http://localhost:631/admin into your browser address bar. This should bring you to the cups admin page where you can follow the steps to add your printer. There are a couple of canon i560 gutenprint drivers to choose from in these steps. Try this and see how they go. I don't why, but these drivers don't seem to appear in the kde printer setup. I hope that this is what you were looking for. (This is my first ever post to a forum so I hope I am being helpful having been through this problem myself)

Comment

I have a Canon i80 and I could never get it to work with Debian Etch or Lenny, nor with Kubuntu 6.06, 7.04 or 7.10

I was presently surprised when I plugged it into my Kubuntu 8.04 and it said new printer detected, Canon i80, ready. I printed a test page - perfect! I've had the same result with a number of printers.

I 've spent time looking at a number of places and downloading various drivers and installing them, but with Hardy Heron, it worked straight out of the box.
                  HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Working...
                  X