This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound in Kubuntu8.04

I just shifted to Kubuntu8.04, earlier I had no sound problem with Ubuntu8.04 or Slackware or Suse!
    I have enabled the mixers and volume is set to max. This is my aplay -l

Code:
    naisho@Vizard:~$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
     Subdevices: 1/1
     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    Code:
    naisho@Vizard:~$ lspci -v

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Aud
    io Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Unknown device d606
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
        Memory at 501c0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
    When for the first time I tried opening a mp3 with amarok, it asked me to download and install a few mp3 codec packages which I did, it showed successfully installed and started playing, only the progressbar was moving but no sound. Rebooted and still no luck. Plz help.

Re: No Sound in Kubuntu8.04

Try this:

Go into the Konsole Terminal and type (or copy this and paste): sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils reset

And then reboot your computer. This worked for me when I didn't have sound.
    Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

Originally posted by divide0
      Try this:

Go into the Konsole Terminal and type (or copy this and paste): sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils reset

And then reboot your computer. This worked for me when I didn't have sound.
      I tried that, the sound came, adjusted the Alsamixer. Rebooted. Again sound gone. Again did the reset, sound worked. Again after reboot its gone. Do i have to reset it everytime I login?

Comment

Make sure that you don't have the front option muted, else your computer speakers won't work. Also, if you want head phones only, then you need to mute the front option. PCM needs to be turned up as well at all times.

You shouldn't have to everytime you reboot.
        Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

Originally posted by divide0
          Make sure that you don't have the front option muted, else your computer speakers won't work. Also, if you want head phones only, then you need to mute the front option. PCM needs to be turned up as well at all times.

You shouldn't have to everytime you reboot.
          Did that, front and PCM max volume. Still after reboot sound vanishes again the resetting alsa-utils thing.
          Oh well, thnx to u atleast I can have sound even if I have to do it everytime, but thatś nt quite fun is it? :P
          I was wondering if there was a way to edit init.d so that the resetting is done automatically at boot.

Comment

Have you tried rebooting immediately after you reset alsa-utils? (To do this, type "sudo reboot" after resetting the alsa utils.) I can't quite figure out why your sound keep going out like that, as I did not have that problem.

Comment

Maybe your problem is....that (going by what both your 'codes' are stating) you are using Analogy and High Defintion Audio?
              At the same time.
              Could be the reason 'why' Sound won't 'lock' into one or the other?

Comment

Great guys..!! It worked 4 me...Thanks

1st time wen i restarted n checked audio, it dint work.
                With-out Reboot it was workin fine.......
                Later in the morning wen i turned ma system ON n played a song...
                .....It was WorKING...... 8)

thnks all.........

Comment

I had a similar problem. i tryed all the software related possibilities and nothing.
                  Just for the heck of it I looked in the BIOS and found that the onboard sound was enabled but I was trying to use a PCI sound card. I disabled the onboard sound and have not had any problems since.
                  I also noticed that there were 2 different sound drivers available when both devices were enabled.
                  That is what led me to checking the BIOS.
                  Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                  X