Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will the Proprietary repo see a new nvidia driver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will the Proprietary repo see a new nvidia driver?

There have been a few stable releases to the nVIDIA driver since the 169.12 that currently is available for the lazy (like me)... any idea when a 177.xx will get in there?

Yes, I know about envy and installing from the .run file, but I have gotten too lazy for that now... I want it handed to me! (stupid restricted driver manager, making me lazy! shame on you ubuntu!) :P

Edit: Why are any of these not available?

Linux Display Driver Version 173.14.12 NVIDIA Recommended 173.1412 July 30, 2008
    Linux Display Driver Version 173.14.09 173.1409 June 16, 2008
    Linux Display Driver Version 173.14.05 173.1405 May 28, 2008

(Linux Display Driver Version 169.12 169.12 February 26, 2008)

Re: When will the Proprietary repo see a new nvidia driver?

How can it be any easier than

Code:
    sudo envyng -t

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      How can it be any easier than

Code:
      sudo envyng -t
      Doesn't envy cause problems with kernel updates?

Comment

answer: you won't see a newer nvidia driver in 8.04 repositories

Comment

Well, a little research has found that EnvyNG seems to be a little more user friendly when it comes to updates, but since i also found that my main problems still exist with the newer driver, it might be moot for me...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118408

>

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
            Doesn't envy cause problems with kernel updates?
            From what I can see of Envy, it will actually automatically make sure the kernel module is recompiled when the kernel is updated...

More specifically, at boot it will check that the installed kernel interface matches the running kernel version. If it does you get a "~ is already installed on this kernel version", if not it recompiles it for you. Neat

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM
              From what I can see of Envy, it will actually automatically make sure the kernel module is recompiled when the kernel is updated...

More specifically, at boot it will check that the installed kernel interface matches the running kernel version. If it does you get a "~ is already installed on this kernel version", if not it recompiles it for you. Neat
              That was not the case though with Envy, correct? EnvyNG has that improvement?

A while back when I was looking a Envy it seemed to be about the same as Automatix... the greatest thing to ever happen to *ubuntu, until you wanted to update a kernel, or do a version upgrade...

I guess the other reason I am a little "against" Envy-type apps is that, while sudo envyng -t or sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf are easy enough for me to do if confronted with a broken GUI, my wife or mom or sister is not going to find that too appealing if it was ever required... heck, even just sudo dpkg --configure -a keeps me from suggesting a switch right now...

But anyways, yeah, EnvyNG does seem to be a lot better than I gave it credit... I have it installed and will probably give it a whirl yet before the weekend is over... maybe it will fix some of my nvidia problems, if not all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab

A while back when I was looking a Envy it seemed to be about the same as Automatix... the greatest thing to ever happen to *ubuntu, until you wanted to update a kernel, or do a version upgrade...
                No, Envy (and now EnvyNG) is strictly a *buntu graphics driver installer -- nothing else. It does not change /etc/apt/sources.list or /etc/fstab like Automatix does, so it will not bork up your system like Automatix.

The problem with proprietary drivers and new kernels is not Envy -- no new kernel will support a proprietary driver before the driver is installed on it. Same goes for wireless chip drivers and graphics drivers and any other proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  ...so it will not bork up your system like Automatix.

The problem with proprietary drivers and new kernels is not Envy -- no new kernel will support a proprietary driver before the driver is installed on it. Same goes for wireless chip drivers and graphics drivers and any other proprietary driver.
                  Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest their level of borkness was the same...

Edit: You are absolutely right... I was thinking about Envy v. Restricted Driver Manager, which does what EnvyNG now does...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by klerfayt
                      Are you telling me that my new nVidia 8800 card is stuck in generic vesa as long as I stay with Kubuntu Hardy?

That nVidia drivers will not be available for this card from 8.0.4 repositories??

Also, where do you get your information

That would seem to leave me with the decision as to whether I ditch (K)Ubuntu or nVidia.

Which do you think will cost me the most $$$$$

I know that this doesn't bother you much, but it does me and those I make recommendations to.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer
                        Originally posted by klerfayt
                        Are you telling me that my new nVidia 8800 card is stuck in generic vesa as long as I stay with Kubuntu Hardy?

That nVidia drivers will not be available for this card from 8.0.4 repositories??

Also, where do you get your information
                        Noooooooooo, the word "new" is significant in the thread title.

EnvyNG will happily install an appropriate Nvidia driver on your 8800.

Comment

"The newest is best " is not always the best way to go...with Linux.
                          (As a 'newbiee'...I found that out, the 'hard way'. Every time I tried using the 'latest' nVidia drivers, my Screen Resolution ended up being the thing that gets screwed.)
                          I run a nVidia GeForce 7300 GS PCI-e graphics-card.....a Dual-Booted computer/XP Pro-Kubuntu 8,04.
                          Have tinkered/experimented (with it) enough to have learnt the 'Golden Rule'......."IF IT AIN'T broke, DON'T TRY FIXING IT.".....does Apply.
                          My computer works happily....on the driver it gets set-up with, during the installlation process.
                          (And, change Screen Resolution one at a time, doing it toooo many times in one sitting....will cause Kubuntu to 'hang'.....then, throw Screen Resolution into a 640 X 480 'spin'.)

Comment

Originally posted by cookie77
                            "The newest is best " is not always the best way to go...with Linux.
                            I run a nVidia GeForce 7300 GS PCI-e graphics-card...
                            You either are not running KDE4 (?) or are luckier than most... my 7600GT gives me nothing but corrupted widgets when a non-GTK app blinks a caret... most people are experiencing big problems with all the nvidia drivers and KDE4. Good to hear someone isn't.

Comment

Working...
                            X