This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] internal hard drive not detected during installation

I just built a new computer so all of my hardware is brand new.

I have an Asus p5q deluxe mb
    intel core 2 duo 3.16ghz
    4gigs ddr2 ram from ocz
    geforce 8800 gt nvidia gpu
    seagate barracuda 7200 rpm 250 gb hd.

I am trying to install 8.04 and I have tried with the kde 3 and 4 discs, xubuntu 7.04 disc, and kubuntu 7.10 disc all to no avail.

Currently windows is detecting the drive and is installed (XP Pro).

My bios has the drive listed as enhanced but I switched it to compatible, neither are working for linux.

It is sata and bios lists it as "configure sata with ide"

PS: I have an external western digital 250 gb drive that is detected fine. If I detach this drive, no other drive is detected by linux during the install.

Suggestions?
    apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Re: internal hard drive not detected during installation

Nice rig!

I would say there is some hardware issue here. Couple of things to look at:

1. BIOS -- how about additional SATA modes, like AHCI?

2. Bus connections -- does it matter which SATA connector a single drive is connected to?

3. Jumper settings -- set it to "CS", if it has a jumper

Comment

Hey thanks, coulda said the same thing about your setup. Now my next mission is to use it...

I set the drive to ahci and linux saw it, I installed and everything looked ok (get to that later).

However, windows no longer starts, it will show the loading screen for a second and then the blue screen of death for a split second, and then it will reboot (this all takes about 1 second).

While on ahci the motherboard logo graphic is distorted for some reason.

Also, for a split second on either configuration I get a message that "no hard disk is detected." (From what I can read in a split second).

Windows works fine. What should I try next? Changing the sata port on the motherboard didn't do anything.
      apt-get moo for more cowbell<br /><br />Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16 GHz<br />4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ<br />EVGA Geforce 8800 GT<br />ASUS P5Q Deluxe Motherboard<br />Antec 900 Case<br />Creative Fatal1ty

Comment

I was wondering if this could be an oprating system issue since I can support 64 bit but am using 32 xp and 32 8.04.

I am going to upgrade both anyhow later today, any hope of this being the culprit?

Comment

Well, it looks like progress is being made! I wouldn't worry about the distorted BIOS splash -- if that were the only problem, we could call it "done".

No, I don't think the architecture difference between 32-bit and 64-bit would make any difference. I think the issues are entirely within the onboard firmware (BIOS, hdd controller chip, etc.). One can safely assume it was all designed with Windows in mind as the OS.

Do you use Windows for graphics-intensive stuff (gaming)? If not, here's a way to have Win XP available, but not have to actually install it directly on your hard drive:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095339.0

It looks complicated, but it's not really that bad.

Comment

Unfortunately I do game and photoshop and such.

Is there a way to upgrade or install something to let kubuntu work correctly with ide?

Comment

There's normally no problem with IDE or SATA. I have an IDE drive and four SATA drives in this computer, for example. But apparently there is something about your BIOS and drive combination that is giving the Kubuntu installer a problem. All I can suggest is trying to set it to different modes in BIOS and see if you can find one that both Windows and Kubuntu can recognize.

Do I understand that if you set it to AHCI, then your Win XP installation CD doesn't see a hard drive?

Comment

In wikipedia.org under the ahci info page, it lists my exact issue just about.

From what I gather there, because I have already installed windows, subsequently changing from ide to ahci renders the windows OS unreachable. I do not know if I enable ahci and then install windows if that would work, but it is what I am trying next.

In your opinion is this a hard drive specific issue?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahci

Comment

You are now proven correct.

windows works with ide not ahci
                  linux works with ahci not ide

ugh

Comment

This can be marked as solved....

I purchased a floppy drive, and will install the drivers for windows with a boot disk, thus I will be able to boot into both using ahci mode.

Comment

Nice job researching your problem! I never heard of that one.

If you open your original post, you can edit the title and add "SOLVED" at the beginning, which might help another victim of that problem.

Comment

Buy another Western Digital.
                        To replace the Seagate one.
                        Didl, Sata drives don't have 'jumpers'.
                        Chris Walken,...... funny, I have 2 SATA drives set as 'IDE'....and both work/recognized in Linux. (Kubuntu is set up on 2nd one.............formatted, originally as NTFS. Installed, using the 'Within Windows' method.)
                        By sheer luck, I found this 'method'...very easy to use.
                        To un-install, just revert back to Windows (XP Pro)...and, use 'Add and Remove' program. Then, Delete 'Linux Backup' Folder....from 2nd hard-drive. (where I set Kubuntu up on.)
                        Windows (XP) has not been harmed in any way.
                        Can do the very same, with Ubuntu.
                        I am experimenting, with both....as 'Dual-Boot' set-ups.
                        Just got OpenSuse 11.0 sent to me.
                        Am thinking of a 'Triple-Boot'......with a 3rd 250 Gig SATA hard-drive.
                        Or, even a 'Quad-Boot'.............with Ubuntu 64-bit, on another 250 Gig Hard-drive.
                        Just for FUN.
                        In time, I might really go 'overboard'....and, replace all hard-drives...with T-byte ones.

Comment

Working...
                        X