This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realtek problem.

Hey, I've just installed kubuntu 8.04 from inside of windows, and have noticed that i have no sound. In my windows, i have a Realtek ac'97, but in Kubuntu, it just doesn't work. I don't have any drivers for it, (I don't think), but whenever i click on the icon in the taskbar (The little speaker with a red X), it just says mixer cannot be found. I'm new to linux, and don't know what to do. Can anybody help?

Re: Realtek problem.

Update: I downloaded the drivers from the Realtek site, but they don't see to have done anything? What am i doing wrong?

Comment

Start with the links here, and follow the troubleshooting guidance. 95% of cases can be resolved by the user, if you follow the guidance carefully:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086812.0

Although, the "inside of Windows" part is not necessarily addressed -- I don't know how well Kubuntu can access your hardware when running within another OS. Personally, I run Windows inside of Kubuntu, and if Kubuntu has anything running that uses the sound system, then it is not available to Windows. I wouldn't be surprised if the reverse situation is the same.

And by the way, Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Start with the links here, and follow the troubleshooting guidance. 95% of cases can be resolved by the user, if you follow the guidance carefully:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086812.0

Although, the "inside of Windows" part is not necessarily addressed -- I don't know how well Kubuntu can access your hardware when running within another OS. Personally, I run Windows inside of Kubuntu, and if Kubuntu has anything running that uses the sound system, then it is not available to Windows. I wouldn't be surprised if the reverse situation is the same.

And by the way, Welcome!
        I'll have a look, and report back what I end up with. Also, i' not running Kubuntu from inside of Winows, i just installed it when windows was running.

Comment

If your computer is Desktop, switch to a Creative 'add-in' card.
          I used to run the 'on-board' Realtek high Definition Audio (under XP)...but, when I started using Kubuntu, it kept dropping out...after just a minutes.
          Couldn't get Sound back, at all.
          Got a Creative "Audigy" card (nothing too elaborate)...to replace the 'on-board' Sound.
          It works with both XP/Vista........and, now, ALL 'flavors' of Linux.
          I have Kubuntu, Ubuntu (32-bit/64-bit), OpenSuse 11.0 (32-bit/62-bit).

To experiment with all.

Sound has not stopped, since then.

Used an old "Creative Live! 5.1"...in my other machine (fully 'dedicated'...to Kubuntu, also).
          Would not work with XP.
          Reason?
          It was the Dell 'version'..of Creative Live! 5.1. The downloaded 'drivers' for it would NOT 'recognise' it....and, would 'cancel' the installation.

It, too, fired up...with great ease, the moment I booted up 'dedicated' machine after installing sound card.

Realtek AC'97 is not supported.....with Linux.
          That's the reason why people have so much trouble....with their Sound.

Funny thing is.........my 'on-board' LAN is Realtek, and it does work in Linux.

Comment

Working...
          X