This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

harddisk speed 3 Mb/s

I have an older pentium 2 which acts as a file/web/etc server with 3 harddisks ext3.

(hd0) /dev/sda 40 gig
    (hd1) /dev/sdb 300 gig
    (hd2) /dev/sdc 300 gig

Io is rather slow, I have seen 8 Mb/s but more often not above 4 Mb/s.

Those 300 gig drivers are not old, but the pc itself is, bios is from before 2000.
    Are these speeds normal or can I tweak something here?
    I have no harddrive tweaking experience on linux whatsoever.

Thanks.
    Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Re: harddisk speed 3 Mb/s

Unfortunately I can only point you in the right direction: hdparm

I cannot remember the commands, but if you google it I'm sure you'll find what you need.

HTH
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

IDE or SATA? Make and model of the IDE or SATA controller?

The hdds themselves, if they are newer, may be capable of faster speeds than the controller/bus that they are connected to. The controller may be the bottleneck.

Comment

@toad, yes I know about hdparm, I should google it some more.. I was hoping for something easy I gues.

@dible, that may very well be the case. The 500 gig I bought didn't work in that machine, it was too old for it, I had to buy this 300 instead, and yes its ide.

Though I should say, seldom had more fun from 25 bucks buying this old pentium and installing a web/etc server on it, even streaming hd material, and now with hardy /xfce it rocks..
        Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Comment

Working...
        X