This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selecting the proper monitor

I notice Kubuntu has an option to tell it exactly what monitor you have, so it can know what refresh rates to use at various resolutions. Mine (NEC AccuSync 120) is listed. So naturally, I thought it would be a Good Thing to go into Administrative mode under the Display settings & select it.

This broke Xserver quite badly. I had to use the Recovery Mode "Attempt to fix Xserver" option to get a GUI back.

So is this not worth messing with, or is there another way to do it?

Re: Selecting the proper monitor

The "Monitor & Display" setting GUI, in System Settings, is there merely to temp the unwary ... :P

Well, maybe it works for plain-vanilla VESA displays, but that's about it. If you install a proprietary driver, you gotta stay far, far away from "Monitor & Display". I think the monitor definition information comes from a "DDC" signal on the video data interface.

Comment

As dibl said: "If It Works, Don't Fix It!"

How thing are working here / If your monitor is working / If there is not EDID bug:
      Current xorg in Hardy usually autodetects your monitor, it's resolution, dpi, etc. and everything just magically works. This happens because modern monitors can be queried for 'EDID' data, that returns all the necessary info to configure things properly.

However, there are cases where the monitor fails to report EDID. These exhibit themselves as a variety of symptoms, often including incorrect resolution selection, strange font dpi settings, inability to select resolutions other than 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and sometimes other odd issues...
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I must have that issue. I never boot up in the Res. I want 1440x900. I always have to go to System Settings --> Display at every boot/Log In. Very Annoying. I've never found a way to get X to configure the way it use to. I like the idea of "auto", but they should have left the ability to use the old xconfig as well. Great monitor, but it evidently doesn't report it's capabilities properly.

Comment

Working...
        X