This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon Multipass F60 under Kubuntu?

Is there any way to get a Canon Multipass F60 printer/copier to work under Kubuntu? Canon doesn't offer any Linux drivers for this model, so I'm guessing the answer is "no." However, if there's some way I could get it to at least print basic black-and-white text under Kubuntu, I'd be thrilled. So far it doesn't look promising; I haven't found any indication that Kubuntu knows it's connected, except that it recognizes the PC Card slot on the side (it's one of those "pop in your digital camera's memory card and print directly" jobs) as a removable storage device.

The situation is this: We have two AMD-based machines, one an Athlon 64 X2 6000+, the other an Athlon XP 3200+. For reasons unclear to me, it's just impossible to make the Multipass F60 work on the dual-core machine. This is a known problem with the Multipasses and there is no workaround. So, that means my machine (the Athlon XP) has to host the Multipass so we can both print.

I'd like the printer to also be accessible to the other machine over our LAN. It runs only Windows XP but might be getting Windows Vista Ultimate soon also.

I've noticed that Samba works automagically; I'm able to browse the other machine's Windows network shares when running Kubuntu. So I'm hoping there's some way the other computer, running Windows, can print with the Multipass, while I'm running Kubuntu.

Re: Canon Multipass F60 under Kubuntu?

If it's not listed here:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

Then the answer is "No, but I know a way ....".

You can install the free VMware Player, then install Win XP and the Windows printer driver on that, and run your printer from the Windows "OS". However, any documents on your Linux system will have to be saved on a USB stick or something like that, and then opened in Windows for printing. The other option is to set up a dual boot system with a NTFS partition that both Linux and Windows can read, but then you have to choose which OS to be booted, and you can't "switch" like you can if Windows is on a VM inside Linux.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095339.0

Comment

It's not listed, but the Multipass F50 is listed under "Partial." That's good enough for me. I bet it will work. The F60 is a revision of the F50 which added a few features, but I suspect they're fundamentally the same machine in terms of simple black-and-white printing.

Comment

If your hunch doesn't pan out, I got great results with a purchased driver from here:

http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

I bought a Canon printer for a relative, and set them up with Kubuntu (about 18 months ago), only to discover that there was no Linux driver for the printer (should have checked linuxprinting.org first .....). The driver I downloaded from turboprint.de is working just find.

Comment

They don't even do the F50 - just the F30, an even older model.

This is good to learn about. I will be putting together a Linux-based system for my mother later this year, and I need to find a printer that isn't too expensive, but will work in all respects under Linux.

Comment

When in doubt ... HP is always an option for folks not wanting to futz around too much (and System > HPLIP is handy); and I'm sure all price ranges are supported (mine is old and works perfectly – HP5650 DeskJet, so I have no experience with new HP models).

http://hplip.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
            X