This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing printers under Kubuntu 8.04

Someone please help me!! I have been trying to share a printer that is connected to my new Kubuntu system on my network which is shared by a Mac running Leopard. When I first began this venture I was able to use the printer from the host machine (Kubuntu) but was having troubles getting the Mac to print to it. For the last couple of days though I am unable to use the printer at all, anytime I send it a job from the host machine it just says processing forever in the queue. I have attempted deleting the printer from the printer menu and disconnecting the printer and reinstalling but still am having the same issues. If anyone has run across this issue or has any idea how to completely wipe any and all printer info from kubuntu so I can try to start fresh please let me know

Thanks in advance

PS... BTW.. I am completely new to Linux as of last week so be easy on me

Re: Sharing printers under Kubuntu 8.04

If you would try printing a test page from the cups interface (enter localhost:631 in the location bar of your browser, open the page, and open "Printers") it should generate an error message up at the top of the page. That would help us figure out your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
      If you would try printing a test page from the cups interface (enter localhost:631 in the location bar of your browser, open the page, and open "Printers") it should generate an error message up at the top of the page. That would help us figure out your problem.
      When I do that it hangs at 5% and just continues to say processing forever, there is no error message at all.

At the top it says "Gutenprint Printing Page 1, 5%"

Comment

Try removing and reinstalling the printer using the cups interface instead of the one in System Settings. And if more than one driver is listed, try a different driver.

Comment

Try removing and reinstalling the printer using the cups interface instead of the one in System Settings. And if more than one driver is listed, try a different driver.
          Ok I have done as you suggested and I tried 2 different printers (driver types I believe) and with the first one the error message I receive is "Unable to open device "hal:///org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_4a9_10b6_3578D6_if0_printer_noserial": Permission denied" and with the 2nd device I get "Unable to open parallel port device file: Permission denied"

Comment

Good!! Now I think I know what your problem is. Read this thread, I believe it has the solution.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089184.0

Comment

Good!! Now I think I know what your problem is. Read this thread, I believe it has the solution.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089184.0
              Thanks I can now print from the Kubuntu machine but am still trying to figure out how in the heck to print from my Mac to that printer. I have tried putting in the ip address and 631 info etc etc into the printer setup in OSX but it still wont print. Anyone have any ideas on how to print to a Kubuntu printer from OSX?

Comment

Sorry, I don't know anything about OSX.

Comment

Does anyone know how to properly add a networked printer in Cups from a machine that is not a Linux box?

Comment

Working...
                  X