This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video card question?

Hi, I have a 22" monitor running on 1680x1050 resolution. Currently I have a Geforce 6200 video card:
    peshko@peshko-desktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)] (rev a1)
    I've had this video card for almost three years, even then it was pretty cheap (around $40).
    I have installed the latest NVIDIA drivers which I downloaded from their website nvidia.com.
    After running glxgears I realized that my video card is running slow (110 FPS).
    KDE 4.1 runs ok on my 22" screen but there is a little lag when minimizing or opening windows that take a big part of the screen.
    I switched off the compiz effects and it is running better now but still I think it should be even smoother.
    Any recommendations. I believe the problem is in my video card and I was going to change it these days but I'm really not sure what video card should I buy, I need a video card that has a good linux support and that will run everything smoothly on my 22" screen.
    Thanks.

peshko

Re: Video card question?

Take a look at HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I used the envy script to install the nvidia driver, still glxgears gives me about 130-140 fps, I run it using the -fullscreen option, without this option I get about 400-500 fps.
      Anyway, I still want to change my video card, I will appreciate recommendation for a good video card in $50-70 price range, I don't think I need to spend more money than this because I really don't play any games and all I want is a card that runs KDE+compiz smoothly on my 22" screen.

Comment

It might not have anything to do with your issue but I found a particular switch making a big difference when running Compiz.

When you use the Compiz Fusion Icon there is the Compiz options (right click the icon) to select Loose Bindings and/or Direct Rendering, I found having at least one of these two selected speeding things up considerably.

Comment

Working...
        X