This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony VAIO vgn-nr260e No sound (Fixed)

I've been searching and have found several potential solutions to various problems concerning sound issues with Kubuntu 8.04.1 and have tried several of them. However, NONE of them seem to work. So I'll give my audio device information below (or at least try to):

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Sony Corporation Unknown device 902d
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
    Memory at fc300000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=03, sec-latency=0
    I/O behind bridge: 00002000-00002fff
    Memory behind bridge: f6000000-f7ffffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000f0000000-00000000f1ffffff

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=04, subordinate=05, sec-latency=0
    I/O behind bridge: 00003000-00003fff
    Memory behind bridge: f8000000-f9ffffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000f2000000-00000000f3ffffff

00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=06, subordinate=07, sec-latency=0
    I/O behind bridge: 00004000-00004fff
    Memory behind bridge: fa000000-fbffffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000f4000000-00000000f5ffffff

Now, I have no idea what the "access denied" is about. If someone knows, let me know.

There is something else about this situation, too. I know the hardware is detected because when booting Kubuntu off the CD, the sound works fine. However, it doesn't when kubuntu is booted off my HDD. (Btw, I'm dual-booting Kubuntu and Vista, and the sound works fine on Vista also)

Also, I only got Kubuntu a few days ago and am quite new to Linux operating systems. I actually like Vista *gasp*, but I think I'll like Kubuntu even more once (if) I can get a hang of it. I just wanted to expand my knowledge by getting another OS.

If anyone could help, that would be great. Thanks!
    Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Re: Sony VAIO vgn-nr260e No sound

Try adding apci=off to the end of the kernel line in your /boot/grub/menu.list file (include a space before).
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That's one of the methods I've tried already. I probably should be more specific on the ones I've tried. I don't remember exactly, but I have tried the steps on configuration on the ubuntu forums, as well as a step-by-step troubleshoot thread. In other words, if someone has linked to the thread, I've tried to use it.
      Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

Which version of HH 8.04 are you running - w/KDE 3.5.9, remix w/KDE 4.0.x, or w/KDE 4.1.00?

Comment

According to the "About KDE" info, I am currently using release 3.5.9.

Comment

When you access Sound (K Menu > System Settings > Sound), what are the setting? Your statement that "I know the hardware is detected because when booting Kubuntu off the CD, the sound works fine." is significant. It means that after installation it's just a settings problem. A way to try and isolate it would be to reboot from the LiveCD and check all the sound settings and note what they are. The compare those to the same after rebooting from the HD.

Comment

According to Sound System, the settings for both a boot from the CD and a boot from the HDD are the same.

Comment

What is showing when you open a console and type:
                Code:
                alsamixer
                This is what mine looks like (first page):
                Code:
                +------------------[AlsaMixer v1.0.15 (Press Escape to quit)]------------------+
                | Card: HDA Intel                               |
                | Chip: Conexant CX20549 (Venice)                       |
                | View: [Playback] Capture All                        |
                | Item: Master [dB gain=-3.00, -3.00]                     |
                |                                       |
                |    +--+     +--+            +--+     +--+    |
                |    |::|     | |            | |     | |    |
                |    |::|     | |            | |     | |    |
                |    |::|     |::|            | |     | |    |
                |    +--+     +--+     +--+     +--+     +--+    |
                |    |OO|     |OO|     |MM|     |MM|     |MM|    |
                |    +--+     +--+     +--+     +--+     +--+    |
                |    95<>95    80<>80           0<>0     0<>0    |
                |   < Master >   PCM     IEC958   Ext Mic   Int Mic    |
                +------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
                What's important is for the < Master > channel not to be muted (showing |MM|).

Comment

No, it's not muted. In fact, I have control over mute/unmute via Fn+F3,F4. This was shown via alsamixer. Here's a bit more information on my card, as well as my settings:

┌──────────────────[AlsaMixer v1.0.15 (Press Escape to quit)]──────────────────┐
                  │ Card: HDA Intel │
                  │ Chip: Realtek ALC262 │
                  │ View: [Playback] Capture All │
                  │ Item: Master [dB gain=-6.00] │
                  │ │
                  │ ┌──┐ ┌──┐ ┌──┐ ┌──┐ ┌──┐ │
                  │ │ │ │ │ │ ▒│ │ │ │ │ │
                  │ │▒▒│ │ │ │▒▒│ │ │ │ │ │
                  │ ├──┤ ┌──┐ └──┘ ├──┤ ├──┤ └──┘ │
                  │ │OO│ │OO│ │OO│ │OO│ │
                  │ └──┘ └──┘ └──┘ └──┘ │
                  │ 87 0<>0 84<>97 0<>0 0<>0 │
                  │ < Master > Headphon PCM Front Mic Mic Boos │
                  └───────────────────────────────────────────────── ─────────────────────────────┘
                  It didn't copy well, though...

Comment

If you're game, you can try the following:
                    [Http://kubasik.net/blog/2008/03/31/s...-ubuntu-hardy]

So if your like me, you’ve been suffering through some painful sound problems in Ubuntu Hardy, apparently its a known kernel issue, so just sit tight. However, if your like me (or 90% of nerds) then you need some sort of music to code. A little digging revealed that I did not in fact have any of the alsa kernel modules installed for my current kernel. apt-get left me high and dry (also without an nvidia driver yet, but that’s an easy fix).
                    The simple remedy is to just build the alsa modules yourself, a pretty painless task. The problem is, if you want to have any hope of keeping your install halfway clean, then you need to get those files tracked by dpkg so we avoid conflicts when the modules are fixed. There’s a simple solution:

sudo apt-get install module-assistant
                    sudo m-a update
                    sudo m-a prepare
                    sudo m-a a-i alsa

This utilizes the handy module-assistant package to automatically build alsa for you. Reboot and enjoy!
                    As a side note, how did you paste the console data with the graphics intact?

Comment

Besides the four lines to copy and paste in terminal, is there anything else I need to do before/after that? I just tried it, and nothing happened. What is tracking by dpkg, exactly?

EDIT: It's fixed! All I had to do was sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils reset

Why this worked? I have no idea. Now, to configure wi-fi, and get my gfx card set up right...(of course, that'll be later.)

And another note to those who may have this problem: Once you fix it, if the sound is low, turn PCM up. Also, when you want to have sound with headphones ONLY, be sure to mute the Front option via Kmix.

And you can just highlight, right-click, and copy the info just like any other string or words/numbers. Of course, I pasted onto a document, booted Vista (to use wi-fi), and used text editor to open the file (explaining the imperfect paste).

Comment

Re: Sony VAIO vgn-nr260e No sound (Fixed)

Very good. Bet you're one happy camper to be able to hear sound coming from your Linux installation now. How cool is that?

Comment

ok so i just installed kubuntu and i have a sony vaio vgn-nr180e with the same no sound problem. i tried your fix of typing "sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils reset" into the konsole. and tadaa! it worked, only now i have restarted my laptop and no sound again... typed the command in again and sure enough it worked, only im wondering if there is anyway i can maybe perhaps make this command permanent like. anyone have any ideas? im really new to the whole linux world and i dont even have any clue what the command i typed in mean. help. please.

Comment

Yes, a few people have had this happen, and I am at a loss as to why it is happening. If memory serves me right, I rebooted immediately after typing in the command. This can be accomplished simply by typing "sudo reboot" after the command.

And by the way, this is for Linux Kubuntu 8.04.1 with KDE 3.5.9. I'm not sure if having KDE 4.0 would affect anything, but it might.

I did not have this problem, so it could be something new, but again, I'm not too sure.

Comment

Working...
                            X