This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Sound with fresh install on my inspiron 1721

Well, that eliminates another possible fix.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay, so I understand that ubuntu does not use alsaconf which is a very bad move in my opinion. But is there some way I could get alsaconf on here? Maybe I could uninstall alsa-utils and then get the tar ball, and compile from source. I am a little rusty on compiling from source but I have done it before once upon a time. Uninstalling I am not quite sure about though. Then the only other problem I worry about is having conflicts since I did not get the package that was designed for my distro. But how much worse could it get? No sound is no sound either way right?

Comment

Originally posted by dreamscaper
        Okay, so I understand that ubuntu does not use alsaconf which is a very bad move in my opinion. But is there some way I could get alsaconf on here? Maybe I could uninstall alsa-utils and then get the tar ball, and compile from source. I am a little rusty on compiling from source but I have done it before once upon a time. Uninstalling I am not quite sure about though. Then the only other problem I worry about is having conflicts since I did not get the package that was designed for my distro. But how much worse could it get? No sound is no sound either way right?
        Okay, so I just answered my own question: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=118445 Post #7 has the answer

I might also add that you need the libncurses5-dev (that wasn't easy to figure out) package on top of the 'libasound2-dev he has mentioned in post #7. You have to get those two packages and then enter the code he has laid out. Works like a charm. I now have sound!

BUT... It is very quiet even when turned all the way up. I hate to be a pain, but do you have any idea how to fix that? I noticed that there were two options for sound cards in alsaconf, but the second one (the one it has it listed as in winblows) gave me a warning that it could crash the system if it probes it so I went with the first (sbx00 azalia) instead.I just tried the other one (listed as "Probe Legacy ISA") and it said it could not find the modules. However, it did list the modules it needed. So I am going to see if I cannot find those and install them...

If anyone has any ideas how to get the volume right, then please let me know.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, sound - any sound - when you had no sound, is a step forward. Good job. Keep at it. I'm sure that you will discover the 'solution.' And when you do, do others a favor (who have your same PC w/sound card/chip) and write up what you had to do to get it working.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X