X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to a 64-bit platform

Hi people.

I'm building a 64-bit comp and I want to know if everything in my /home partition will be compatable once I reinstall with a 64-bit Kubuntu.

Re: Moving to a 64-bit platform

I believe it won't, not if your installing it on your old system, but then again it only really matters if your upgrading, or if you're doing a clean install.

More info would be great.
    The early bird might get the worm, but it's the second mouse who always gets the cheese.

Comment

Re: Moving to a 64-bit platform

Originally posted by janthes
      Hi people.

I'm building a 64-bit comp and I want to know if everything in my /home partition will be compatable once I reinstall with a 64-bit Kubuntu.
      All your data will be fine -- there's no 64-bit issue with data. Your "settings" for KDE, mozilla, etc. on the other hand are going to have some issues, probably, depending on whether you are staying with the same versions of KDE, Firefox, GoogleEarth, Adobe, or whatever.

I personally prefer just to clear out the old settings and do the new setup on the new OS. Of course I export my Firefox bookmarks, so I can re-import them, and I make sure and save contacts and stuff like that. If you want a clean re-start, export all of your KDE-based mail and contacts, export your bookmarks, and then you can delete all the "hidden" files/folders that have a leading period, such as .kde, .mozilla, etc.

If you're in love with your present settings and hope to preserve them, then go into your existing /home folder and rename the hidden folders to "_bak" like ".kde_bak" so they will be preserved, then go ahead and install the new OS and make sure you indicate where the /home directory is to be mounted during the installation process, so it ends up mounted automatically when you reboot. Make sure you set it NOT to format the partition. Then you can selectively try to reset your hidden folders back to their original names, and see what you get. No guarantees on the results, of course ...

Comment

Working...
      X