This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 1525N - Conexant HSF modem

I recently upgraded from a fresh install of Dell's Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntu 8.04 and installed kubuntu-desktop. I followed the instructions for installing the modem driver and subsequently fixing the sound as stated on the Dell Linux Wiki pages including the Dell PPA repository. Now, whenever I use KPPP or any other method for connecting to the internet, the prompt tells me that the modem is busy. I checked that /dev/modem was linked correctly to /dev/ttySHSF0 as it should be and it is.

During the process of installation, my computer was upgraded to 8.04.1.

Any help is appreciated.
    Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue...

Re: Dell Inspiron 1525N - Conexant HSF modem

Have to ask, because it's in my nature when I don't see it in the information provided, so ...

You say you followed the instructions for installing the modem driver. Did that include their instructions to "Remove old modem driver by following instructions here." first?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I did remove the old driver first. Removed old driver and old backports modules > Installed new along with updated kernal modules from the PPA repository > Fixed sound > depmod -a > update-initramfs -u > Reboot.

Also, I don't blame you for asking. I would have too.

Comment

Got it taken care of.

What I did:
        Ditched the upgrade and did a clean install (lost a couple Dell novelties, but oh well)
        Immediately after the clean installation, I installed the kernel modules and headers, followed by a reboot.
        When it came back up, I installed the Conexant driver provided by Dell, followed by another reboot.
        Then I checked everything, and it all worked without anymore tweaking, even the sound.

So, the best solution I can give for people upgrading their Ubuntu based Dell with the Conexant HSF modem is to download the kernel module and header DEBs from Dell's PPA repository, make a backup of your profile, install clean, install the module and header DEBs that you downloaded, reboot, install the Conexant driver, reboot again, restore your backup. Then of course, run the updates making sure that the PPA repository is enabled because it will have to update the module and header files to keep the modem working after upgrading.

Also, I used the DVD edition to install, which I purchased from Amazon. Yes, I know it's free, but I wanted to support their efforts.

Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 1525N - Conexant HSF modem

Excellent! Good job.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X