This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel GMA 950 Dual Monitor

In vista Dual monitor worked without any configuration or anything. But I just installed Ubuntu and it will see my other monitor and even list it as "View Sonic 19" but I can only clone the display.

I googled but the guides say put on monitor into VGA and one into DVI, but I dont do dual monitor that way. I have a Lapttop and had the main monitor as the built in one, and the secondary as VGA....

I have Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 on my laptop.
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Intel GMA 950 Dual Monitor

After googling a little, I found this fix addressing your problem. According to the author, the fix works, but disables direct rendering :P

I've never messed with setting up a 2nd monitor, so I'm writing this as a complete rookie, but you may also wish to check out Mr. Alberto Milone's URandR; he's the genius behind EnvyNG - an amazing tool that's helped many of us resolve our Nvidia/ATI issues - so I'm sure it's an excellent quality application.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Cool! I've got that video chip in my laptop. Nice to know that if I ever get an external monitor and want to run both (like I do at work) to extend my 'desktop realestate' I'll have the ammunition to set it up.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What's direct rendering?
        My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Here's a Wikipedia article on the subject; in short, direct rendering allows applications to "access the video hardware without requiring data to be passed (slowly) through the X server." It's used mainly to speedup 3D applications, such as games and Compiz.
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

And another 'more down to earth' explanation: If you can run Compiz, then your video card is capable of direct rendering, and has been so configured within your OS.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So I cant have Compiz and Dual Monitor?

Comment

Sorry for the late response, I haven't logged on in a while...

So I cant have Compiz and Dual Monitor?
                Not with the workaround posted above; you may be able to use a utility, such as URandR, that will assist you in setting up a second screen supporting direct rendering, but you'll have to experiment a little (my favorite way to learn).
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

What is URandR?

I dont know if I know enought about Linux to experiment/play around. Or do I? I know howto install programs in (K)Ubuntu and some terminal. But if there would be a way, wouldnt it already be out?

If I would do that fix, would direct rendering be disabled all the time or only when the second monitor is in?

Comment

URandR is, as Mr. Milone states, "a GUI to RandR 1.2 written in PyGTK."; it helps you easily set up dual monitors.&#160; I installed it, but couldn't test it since my GPU isn't supported (I have an Nvidia GPU on my laptop).

After reading the "fix" more carefully, it seems to be referring to changing only the resolution of the 2nd monitor - I'm not sure if it would help you or not.

A much better how-to on setting up a 2nd monitor via Xorg's RandR is below:
                    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_R..._useful_things

Also, I've come across two other GUI's for XRandR, taking the total to three: URandR, ARandR, and GRandR.&#160; GRandR is in Hardy's universe repository, so you may want to try it first.

As to whether you're experienced enough to experiment/play around with your system, I would say most definitely - it's not a matter of experience, but rather, a willingness to learn and try new things.&#160; The more customization/hacking you do to your system, the more you'll learn, the more confident you'll be in your abilities, and the easier it will be for you to try more things.&#160; That doesn't just apply to hacking, but also to anything else in life
                    Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                    X