This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia - next steps?

I'm interested in how to install the proprietary Nvidia driver, currently at 173.14.09(?). I know how to obtain it from the Nvidia website and how to complete the last steps (I think I know how). That is, I believe I have to kill X and install afterwards by running the script.

However, I did this in Debian in which there were no Nvidia packages nor nvidia drivers (well, maybe defaults?) already installed. I believe I have to remove any Nvidia 'stuff.' Does anyone have a good, reliable 'how-to' for this. Also, should I run anything for you, the reader, to see what I have installed already?

I went to one of the package Managers (sorry, I like Synaptic, is that sufficient?) to search for anything Nvidia. This is what I found (well, what I could find/notice):

Installed Packages:
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24.12-16.34 – Non-free Linux 2.6.24 modules on x86/x86_64

nvidia-glx-new - 169.12+2.6.24.13-19.45 - Nvidia binary Xfree86 4.x/X.Org 'new' driver

nvidia-kernel-common - 20051028+1ubuntu8 - Nvidia binary kernel module common files

xserver-xorg-video-nv - 1:2.1.8-1ubuntu1 - Xorg X server – NV display driver

Is there a better/faster way to provide this info? I suspect there is a command I could have input/entered into a terminal console to provide info which would serve the same purpose.

I just forget the commands.

I would appreciate any advice and commands that would help anyone assess the problem.

I don't know where to go from here. I discovered a post 'Nvidia Updates' that might be relevant but still it might be a different situation and I'm not sure how much of it would apply to mine. If I had any idea or was sure it was close enough, I would have posted this problem there. ;-)

Re: Nvidia - next steps?

See HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@kbunt: In Synaptic, search>name>envy. I think (I don't know for sure) that all you need to do is install the envyng-gtk, or envyng-qt packages, answer a few questions, and everything will be done for you. Personally, I'm not a major eye-candy enthusiast so I just use the auto installed nvidia driver.

Comment

I installed it using the EnvyNG program. Thanks for the tips. There were good instructions here and at the actual Envy site.

Comment

Working...
        X