X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with a USB external hard drive using NTFS

Hello everybody!

I'm currently a Mandriva user and wanted to try Kubuntu, it seems like a nice and interesting distro.
    I wanted to switch but I'm currently experiencing a problem with my USB external hard drive which stops me from doing so. This drive is using NTFS because I use it to go and help friends using Windows, I also use it when converting friends from Windows to Linux and as my personal drive for backups.
    When I'm on Kubuntu, the drive mounts with no problem but some folders and files are missing, simply not appearing.
    This is the only distro which gives me this problem; no problem under Ubuntu, Mandriva, MEPIS, Sidux...
    Do you know what could be causing that? Do you know what would be the solution?

Thanks,
    NiQCo

Re: Problem with a USB external hard drive using NTFS

last time i've seen something like this
    i've then found the missing stuff in the "wastebin" directory.
    which is not shown by default being interpreted as a hidden file (dot something...).
    why and how they ended up in there i don't know.
    i didn't bother debugging the issue, so i can't tell you more.
    could be you're seeing the same thing, though.
    thought it would be worth a go...
    hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion... I tried it, unfortunately, the trash was empty...

It's really strange 'cause on Ubuntu and Mint I do not have any problem, it's just with Kubuntu!!!

Comment

1) If you have the USB drive identified in your fstab file, ensure that the filesystem type is identified as ntfs-3g and not ntfs.
        2) Ensure that the package ntfs-3g is installed.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X