This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webcam that works?

My son and his family moved to the west coast, and my wife wants me to get a webcam. She wants to use it to communicate with our granddaughter. But I've read lots of tales of woe about usining webcams with Linux, and a web search turned up lots of conflicting info. I'm need some advice on make and model here. Low budget, but not very bottom, under $100 for sure. This will be used on a PC, AMD 4000+ 64 bit, Kubuntu 8.04.1. Would appreciate any advice. TIA.

Re: Webcam that works?

Please start with this listing of webcamsfrom the Ubuntu Community Help wiki. Then look at this page for additional info. I can't speak form personal experience, though, because I don't have a webcam.

Comment

My Logitech 9000 Newegg link works well with skype... mic works without any issue... the only thing that doesn't work is the red ring that should illuminate when the video is being captured.

Comment

Thanks. Lots to choose from. I'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
          Thanks. Lots to choose from. I'll let you know how it works out.
          More info. if you haven't already chosen...

http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/#devices

Comment

Thanks, I already ordered the Logitech Pro 9000. Should be here tomorrow.

Comment

Well I got the 9000, really nice. And it worked out of the box with Skype and Ekiga. But that's it. I can't get it to work with anything else. Not VLC, not camorama, etc. Some research indicates that the driver is not ready for 64 bit yet. Or the programs seem unable to use the V4L2 service. I have another machine running 32 bit and I will try it over there and see what happens. Will post again later.

Comment

Working...
              X