This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu and Kubuntu

Is it possible to run Kubuntu Hardy on my master hard drive and Ubuntu Hardy on my slave drive?
    Can anybody help me on this?
    harecanada
    harecanada<br />Running Kubuntu Hardy Heron<br />Dell Inspiron 531<br />500 gb HD<br />3 gb RAM

Re: Ubuntu and Kubuntu

During installation, select which drive you wish to install to, and during installation setup of the second, be sure to tell it to install GRUB to the master drive, or whichever you have set as the first boot drive since some BIOS will let you change this.

The second installation should detect the first and offer it in the GRUB menu.

Or you can go the slightly harder route editing /boot/grub/menu.lst, but if the above works, you shouldn't have to worry about editing that other than to change the name of your Kubuntu installation because it defaults to "Ubuntu".
    Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue...

Comment

why do you want two installations of the same Hardy? isn't it easier to have both desktops on the same desktop?
      All it takes is
      Code:
      apt-get install ubuntu-desktop kubuntu-desktop
      Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Well I have a corrupt system and have tried for almost a month to fix it with a lot of help on the forums but finally just decided to dump it and do a fresh install. I had a spare hard drive and wanted to try having both Distros with their own drives thats all. Actually though at present I can't get my head around how use the slave drive. That's where I have to start. I can see it if I sudo fdisk -l , but can't figure out how to access it and use it. Any ideas?
        harecanada
        harecanada<br />Running Kubuntu Hardy Heron<br />Dell Inspiron 531<br />500 gb HD<br />3 gb RAM

Comment

Originally posted by harecanada
          Well I have a corrupt system and have tried for almost a month to fix it with a lot of help on the forums but finally just decided to dump it and do a fresh install. I had a spare hard drive and wanted to try having both Distros with their own drives thats all. Actually though at present I can't get my head around how use the slave drive. That's where I have to start. I can see it if I sudo fdisk -l , but can't figure out how to access it and use it. Any ideas?
          harecanada
          I can understand you want to start over, I did it a few times myself over the years, even though I hate doing that as I always lose something I forgot to save. Many times if it is a new install it is almost as easy to start over as to fix some problems. However, after the installation has been up and running a while and you have added personalized items it becomes much less desirable to start over. If you use installation cd, you should be able to select the slave as the installation target, if you just want to see it and format it you can select "System Settings" from the KDE menu go into the "Advanced" section and select "Disks and file systems" be a bit careful, once you add a slave and the the operating system expects it to be there it won't work if you remove the slave.

For your nvidia driver make sure you use

apt-get install envyng-core
          envyng -t

(not envy-t with Hardy )

Comment

Working...
          X