This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu always return on 640x480 monitor resolutions

hai, I am a new one in kubuntu . to day I install ati radeon catalyst driver (8.6) on my kubuntu and everything is going well, compiz is function to, but afther reboot, my kubuntu return to the lowest monitor resolution, I try to change it but my display drive just show that i have only this resolution . I don't know how I must to do? I alraedy installing and disinstalling for 5 times but always the same please help , now i cannot boot my kubuntu it's said that fgrlx (8.501) already install on this kernel and stuck in black screen of death :-X please help me

Re: kubuntu always return on 640x480 monitor resolutions

Hm,

since you have already installed five times, there is no harm in doing it a sixth time I suppose. But please do it "with us", i.e. do your normal install and then post the output of this command
    Code:
    lspci
    In addition, please let us know what you did those five times previous which did not work.

Together we might well manage to get your system up and running
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I had the same problem in installing ATI driver. I can tell you how I solved it.

First, check that in you etc/X11/Xorg.conf file there are the correct values (name of driver, resolution numbers etc...ask if you need support).
      In my case I had the correct values, but when rebooting the configuration came back orginal one.

Hence... (see thread How to have 1280x800 resolution on my laptop?? in this forum)

I've read an old post

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=355795

I've modified the fle displayconfigrc (look for it with "locate" command) with the correct values 1280x800 and now when I reboot my configuration is really as I expect Grin

and all is ok now!
      bye.

Comment

to day i reinstall again kubuntu all, because there is a problem my monitor turn black and all command did not fuction, and i lost of all my data >, afther install the new one with ati catalyst i think it's function now (i hope), but there is still a problem with compiz, in compiz setting manager window i can not see the icon, and i think i miss some plugin what I must to do? thank's for your answer. best regard

Comment

First things first, you appear to have a working xorg.conf Please back it up with the following command:
          Code:
          sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.working_version
          That way, should anything go wrong in the future, you can just retrieve it and have a working system again in no time!

Now that is done, you may want to back up whatever data you have lost in your previous install. I take it it is how you want kde to look, etc. All this info is kept in the /home/user_name/.kde folder. The same goes for behaviour/looks of all kde programmes. It is, of course, best to mount your /home directory into a different partition to make it os independent. Put that one down to experience, you can do it at a later stage in any case. But if I were you, I'd back up my ~/.kde folder just in case for now.

As for your problem with the missing icons - I have the same problem on one machine, while they work on the other
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I am new to Linux, too. i found that in doing some research...on Graphics-cards, the ATI /Radeon cards are basically 'not supported' by Linux (especially Kubuntu).
            But, the nVidia types are.
            There are only 4 Manufacturerd, that do support Linux.
            nVidia being one.
            Luckily, I had a nVidia on hand...........did a 'change-over', and the nVidia-card works, to perfection.
            Possibly a change is order, for you, too.
            Also, check out if the Graphics-card you intend to use...is 'auto-detecting' variety.
            That tends to help, with those 'installation blues'.
            I am not 'up-to speed'......with the Linux-way of 'configuring' things.
            Yet.
            All that using the Terminal 'stuff' gives me a massive head-ache...reminds too much of "Windows Dos".
            Maybe it is good to use.....that is, for those who do have a fair knowledge/skill of programming, but,.....in just trying to set everything up, using Linux for the very first time....it's a complete 'mine-field' .
            One wrong move, hello, re-install is in order.
            Another 'point'..to look out for, is the Sound, in Kubuntu. (Especially if you are using 'on-board' Realtek.)
            Mine worked .......for about 5 minutes, then gets dropped, by Kubuntu
            Reason?
            Realtek is not 'supported', either.
            Getting it to work, once again, the 'Linux method' of manual configuring is the only other option, but, for the un-initiated, such as myself and others like me, Creative Labs may be the way to go.....being that Creative labs is one of those that is 'supportive' of Linux OS.
            How much time have I had, using Linux (Kubuntu/Ubuntu)?
            Less than 3 weeks.

Comment

Working...
            X