Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Configuring a USB wireless Adapter with a WEP protected router (Solved use WPK)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Configuring a USB wireless Adapter with a WEP protected router (Solved use WPK)

I just bought the USB wireless adapter from here:

http://www.target.com/Belkin-54G-Wir...Adapter&page=1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I then proceeded to install the drive using the program labeled 'start.exe' that came with the CD when I put it on. It installed somewhat, because it said it couldn't find a certian .dl and quit. I opened up a program called 'windows wireless drivers at the location (application>system>windows wirless drivers), and ran the info from the CD and it said the driver was already installed. I would like to add that it installed belkin program to my desktop and the startmenu, which I can't uninstall. So, I figured it installed correctly and decided to enter (applications>system>network>connections) I saw the usb adapter icon and went into the properties to login.

On my router settings its 128-bit WEP Protected in which, I accquired a hexkey with a passphrase. I notice that the options in the preference panel are WEP password and WEP ascii(sp). I tried typing in my passphrase (it has a Capital letter to start off with)and it willno't connect.

--adds

I copied the files from the Belkin CD onto my desktop and opened the terminal to the desktop and typed the following.

Sudo ndiswrapper -i BLKWGU.inf
    (the message displayed was installing BLKWGU.inf....)
    Sudo nsdiswrapper -|
    (no message prompt)
    sudo depmod -a
    (no message prompt)
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    (no message prompt)

Re: Configuring a USB wireless Adapter with a WEP protected router

Problem fixed by doing the following:

In the terminal type the following:

Sudo ndiswrapper -i BLKWGU.i
    Sudo nsdiswrapper -|
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

logging into the router through another computer
    Changing the encryption to the next highest setting (WPK or something like that)
    typing in a passphrase that has no capital letters
    Connected.

Comment

Working...
    X