Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce Go6200 reboot problem (now in Hardy)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA GeForce Go6200 reboot problem (now in Hardy)

I was running Feisty (7.04) on my laptop and got the NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 to work with ENVY. However, when I went to shutdown/reboot I got a black screen that faded to white with black lines. Here's the link to the issue in the 7.04 Hardware forum

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095264.0

Anyway, installed Hardy (8.04) and got the card working using the restricted drivers utility....think that's what it's called. However, now I've got the same issue. Anyone know which log I should look in to see what's going awry?
    Kubuntu 7.04 -- Dual 3.2GHz Xenon, 6GB RAM, ASUS N6200TC256/TD/64M<br />Kubuntu 8.04 -- Sony Vaio VGN-S460,1.7 GHz Celeron, 512MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 128MB

Re: NVIDIA GeForce Go6200 reboot problem (now in Hardy)

Hi there, I can't help I'm as new to Linux as a monkey is to flying.

I just want to know where you got the driver for the 6200 from as I can't find it on the Nvidia site and I forgot to save the file with the instruction and the driver details.?

I also can't seem to find the restricted drivers utility? tried under Utilities and System settings - Advanced and there is nothing there?

Thanks! some more issues below if anyone can help with them!

I've got a 2005 Packard Bell EasyNote R9260 (laptop)
    Intel Celeron 2.00ghz processor
    1024ram
    160GB HDD
    Nividia Geforce Go 6200 Graphics card
    Realtek sound card (don't know the spec's)
    And various network cards

I've installed the live CD for Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy and it's not half bad, but yes there are some really irritating issues. I did verify the download and once the CD was in the drive and I started up the PC I did a CD check and all checked out fine. I played around with the "demo" and then did a full instillation and after things were not working so good I reinstalled it, but I still have the same problems maybe some one could give some advice.

1) on some applications there are no help files (even though there is a help button) and once on the main help it also says that some files are missing? is this because it's a CD version?

2)My "Run Command" doesn't seem to work all the time and certain things aren't found eg. "sudo apt-get install python-vte" (I've even tried it in the terminal window)It says it was not found.
    I need this for the menu option - Inspect, on my vodacom 3G HSDPA USB card this brings me to the next problem.

3) the Vodacom card is working other than the this mentioned above, it picks up the card, it has installed the connection settings for internet from the card. I even sent a sms to check and all is good. (this is my only internet connection) but for some reason nothing on Kubuntu can access the net, not the browser (Konqueror) or any other program, so I can't update a thing or install additional applications like WINE. I've tried to create a new connection manually but I don't have that option for some odd reason. I tried this from the command line as well as in the terminal window: sudo pppconfig But nothing happens?

4) Kubuntu picks up my Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card but if I select to use it the screen starts doing disco strobe lights in all the colors of the rainbow, then I have to reinstall Kubuntu on safe graphics mode again to get it working again, is this a driver issue?

5) so with all this said I've decided to try the DVD versions of the distro (Kubuntu 8.04) to see if it will work better on my PC; is this the right thing to do, does the DVD version just come with more application / do the come with more drivers / will it detect hardware better?

Maybe I'm just dumb, but hey if you don't ask you don't learn

Comment

Re: NVIDIA GeForce Go6200 reboot problem (now in Hardy)

@lazer, I'm afraid the video show that you're seeing on shutdown with the Nvidia driver may be a "feature", and not an error. My hardware, shown in my signature, is very fast, and so what I see is a very momentary version, kind of a flash, of what you are describing, and I suspect you're just getting a longer time period to see it. If the shutdown proceeds on its own without intervention on your part, I would say just ignore the goofy video thing.

@SKay, I'll give you general guidance to install your video driver, and then if you still have a problem with it, I'll see whether there's more I can do to help.

1. Enable the Third Party repository, by opening Adept Manager, clicking KMenu>System>Adept Manager>Adept and then "Manage Repositories". On the first tab entitled "Kubuntu Software" you should have an "x" in the top four boxes. Now click the tab entitled "Third Party Software" and put an "x" in the box for "http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner". Click "close", then click "fetch updates" then scroll down to the package named "envyng-core" and mark it for installation, and then click "Apply" on the top menu. When Adept Manager has finished installing Envyng, close Adept Manager and any other open applications.

2. Exit the GUI with Ctrl-Alt-F1 -- this will take you to console #1 and the dreaded Command Line Interface, aka "text prompt". Log in with your user name and password.

3. Enter
      Code:
      sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
      if you are running KDE3.5.9 (the default KDE with 8.04) or
      Code:
      sudo /etc/init.d/kdm-kde4 stop
      if you happened to use the remix or otherwise install KDE4. This will stop the X server.

4. Now enter
      Code:
      sudo envyng -t
      to start Envyng in text mode. If you have previously mucked around trying to install "nv" or the Nvidia proprietary driver, first choose #2 "Uninstall the Nvidia Driver". Choose #1 "Install Driver" from the menu, follow the instructions, and note any errors carefully. It is possible that it will need to install missing libraries or something before it can finish the driver installation. Just pay attention and let us know if it exits with errors, because any errors will help us know what is missing on your system.

5. If it completes without errors, then you can enter
      Code:
      sudo shutdown now -r
      to restart your system, and upon finishing the boot process you should observe an Nvidia splash screen immediately prior to your GUI login screen. That's your indication that the Nvidia driver is installed and running correctly.

6. You may have issues with the screen resolution, or installing compiz. or something like that. If so, first search the forum and see if it's already been asked and answered (hint: it HAS), and if you can't find the guidance, post your question here.

Comment

Working...
      X