This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modem not working, pulling my hair out

I just bought a new Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop.
    It has a conexant HDA D330 MDC v.92 modem

I installed a dual boot with Win Vista.
    I want to walk away from Microsoft, but forced to use Vista because my only form of internet id Dialup and I can't get my modem working. Windows says it's on port 3.

Can anyone help.
    I searched the web for help, but nothing helps. I guess it's my lack of understanding more than anything.

Also, the wireless won't work. It's a Dell wireless 1505 draft 802.11n
    I am so Noob.
    Thanks

Re: Modem not working, pulling my hair out

OK - - couple questions

Are you running 32 or 64 bit?

Since your running a Dell, there are drivers for this unit and the modem you have, but I'm not having luck with these at this point although I'm trying the 64 bit on a Compaq F765. Go to the location below, and look over the list. I suspect you will want the one listed below.

http://linux.dell.com/files/ubuntu/h...m-drivers/hsf/

hsfmodem-7.68.00.09oem.tar.gz

Sideline history, I was using the 7.10 gutsy Gibbons version with only a sound problem of which Linuxant supposedly has solved. I am currently trying to solve the 8.04 64 bit setup with no ;uck at this point. let me know how this works for you when you get it going

Comment

Thanks for the help
      As for 32 bit, or 64 bit. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know. That language escapes me.
      Thanks for the link.
      I'm going to download and try it right away.
      I'll get back in a few.

Comment

Well, no go.
        It said no hardware found.
        Any ideas? Thanks
        Wally

Comment

Nope - - not at all.

I was considering trying the 32 bit version of Hardy Heron and seeing if I could get it to work, but you have pretty much confirmed my fears.

I, myself are going to revert back to Gutsy Gibbons until such time as I see a solution to this problem. I can't be without modem capability on my notebook, so I really have no choice.

Hate to say it, but you may want to consider other Linux options

Comment

If I revert back to Gutsy, do you think the modem will work then?
            I have no reservations about going back to 7.10.
            Thanks
            Wally

Comment

Worked for me. I used the hsfmodem setup on the ubuntu/dell download page. The only problem that hasn't been resolved is that the modem drives overide the alsa sound drivers - - means no sound. Linuxant supposedly solved this with a alsa patch, but it's for the drivers we were attempting to use.

I have been looking at this 'modm is busy' problem, and it seems there are a lot of people having a problem, so I'll be digging into this a bit more.

Stay tuned for further details

Comment

Then that kind of puts me in a position.
                I need my sound to work. So if I revert, then I lose my sound.
                actually, When I installed this on 8.04, I did lose the sound.
                Now, which is more important, the sound or the modem?
                I can use Vista for dialup, and Linux for my music composing software. That would be a real pain.
                I guess I'll hang tight for a solution. Thanks for your help.
                I can't wait to dump vista

Comment

I know what you mean.

I'm debating on putting Hardy Heron back on on a separate partition and see if I can work it out - - in my spare time (it's gonna be awhile) Will see where this goes.

Comment

Hey I don't mean to hi-jack your thread but I'm in a similar position, I need to know how to find out what modem I have (dial up) and then find a driver for it so I don't have to use windows for the internet.

Could someone help?

-tim

Comment

I had the same problem. Not sure if it's the exact same modem, but mine is Conexant HSF in a Dell Inspiron 1525N. You can see how I took care of mine in this thread.

Hope it helps.
                      Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue...

Comment

timythius and digitlhead.

One way to determine what modem you have, and usually what driver is required is to use the scanModem tool. Do a google search on it. Works pretty well.

As for modem issues of the day, I've been bouncing around trying different 32 and 64 bit distro's, and haven't had much luck myself. I'm back to Hardy Heron 64 bit, and attempting to get any kind of internet connection working. In my case, that's dialup and hot spot wifi (no residential broadband)

I'm also working on trying to get build-essentials on this laptop the hard way - file by file with USB Key since it's not on the CD and without internet, it makes it inpossible to go via repositories.

Makes it a pain - - but I'm learning all kinds of new stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X