X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying out laptops?

Hi.

I am considering buying a laptop to use it as my mobile Kubuntu machine. So far the Dell Latitude D630 and the HP Pavilion dv2700t are the only candidates, but I'm open to suggestions.

My question is, what's the best way to make sure the laptops I want to buy will work mostly out of box with Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)? I have read the Ubuntu HCL, but it does not have a whole lot of information for the models I am considering. If I take a LiveCD to the store, will the store guys let me boot their laptops with it so I can test different hardware components, such as wireless and sound? And if it works with the LiveCD, can I be assured that it will work as well with the installed version of the OS?

Thanks!
    Dai
    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Re: Trying out laptops?

This might give a better overview:
    http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Can you test with a live cd? That depends on the shop you go to. some will let you (those are the trusty guys) others won't (i wouldn't buy from them)

If the live cd works your install should as well. Sometimes there are wifi and video card configurations to be handled after install but 95% of the time it should be good to go.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
      This might give a better overview:
      http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Can you test with a live cd? That depends on the shop you go to. some will let you (those are the trusty guys) others won't (i wouldn't buy from them)

If the live cd works your install should as well. Sometimes there are wifi and video card configurations to be handled after install but 95% of the time it should be good to go.
      Thanks for the valuable input. I will check www.linux-laptop.net right now. I am planning to head over to Fry's tomorrow to see if they're generous enough.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Your welcome. I wish I had a Fry's to go to. They just don't live in switzerland
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
          Your welcome. I wish I had a Fry's to go to. They just don't live in switzerland
          Do they have any megastore like Fry's in Switzerland?

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Originally posted by Quantumstate
            Depends on what you want.

I wanted a 17" screen, a fast video card, upgradable processor/memory/diskdrive, and for it to be built like a tank like the old IBM Stinkpads.

I got all that with my new HP 8710w. Running Hardy AMD64 flawlessly, although not without a little work. glxgears is running 9,680fps, Compiz and VirtualBox are fast, and hibernate works well. But it does not have a webcam, and the speakers are crap, if you value those things.
            Thanks for the reply. I want a laptop that's a little bigger than those tiny, 12-inch screen models, but I don't want it to be too big either. I have a 13-inch MacBook, and that's the right size for me. Hence the Pavillion dv2700t and the Latitude D630.

I don't really care much about the built-in speakers. I sure want them to be decent, but they don't have to be Boses or Boston Acoustics.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

... And Fintan, I don't want to hear about Switzerland.
              Well, I am American. Well.... Californian, froze my passport when W came to "office" and yes I do miss a few things "american" but not many.

Bthw Switzerland is not Part of the EU
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

How did you emigrate?
                That is a long story and definitely off topic.
                I put my passport in my freezer and it will stay there until.....
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

ok but not tonight.
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Couple thoughts - - None of the mega / big box stores would even think about letting me touch a display model with a live CD. Most laptops do not have recovery CD's, and the warranties are pretty much useless if it doesn't have Vista on board in most cases.

My latest unit is causing me grief

Compaq F700 WS AMD64 (F765)

Atheros Wireless - - Pain in the @$$ - hasn't worked properly yet
                    Winmodem - - Conexant - Linuxant - Won't work under Hardy Heron, Driver also screws up sound
                    Graphics. - - Can't get the resolution from the Nvidia drivers as compared to the Eye Candy screen in Vista

All these may have solutions, but I haven't found them yet

Comment

Working...
                    X