X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed nvidia drivers and lost X

Hey there everyone,

Geforce 6800 gt

I just installed 8.04 w/KDE 4. After all of the updates and subsequent reboot, I installed the proprietary nvidia driver. Now on restart, I get the Kubuntu splashscreen, and then the monitor goes into standby.

Xorg.conf states

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    Defaultdepth 24
    I'm attempting to setup a dualhead application but this kind of stopped me cold

Any help with getting X up and running would be fantastic. Help on getting dualhead going would be superfantasticalicious.

thanks,
    json

Re: Installed nvidia drivers and lost X

After reading all of the previous threads, I see that I should explain a little bit more:

1) I installed the drivers using the automated installer that popped up on it's own.

2) That is not my whole xorg.conf. I can't figure out how to get it copied from the problem computer to a working one.

Comment

Re: Installed nvidia drivers and lost X

No answer to your problem, I'm having problems with nvidia drivers in hardy too.

To get your xorg.conf file, though, you can boot to a live cd, mount the drive, then just navigate to etc/X11 on the mounted drive and click it. I'm not too sure of your level of expertise, so if you need help with that let me know and I'll get more specific.

Comment

Working...
      X